Thursday, September 1, 2016

Fading

"I don't know where I'd be without you in my life," he smiled up at me.


I clapped my hands over my mouth.  He was now down on one knee.  My smile was radiating out from beyond my hands.  I'd been waiting for this moment for what felt like forever.


"Aleah, you're my best friend and my love.  You're the first thing I think about when I wake up, and definitely the last thing I'm dreaming about as I drift off to sleep.  There is no one else I'd rather have by my side for the rest of my life."  He was returning my smile, his eyes hopeful and glistening. 


He pulled out a box from the inside of his blazer with the familiar blue ribbon on it.  He opened up the box, the diamond bouncing off the street lamps that were over the river walkway we were on.  His hand, and the box, were slightly quivering.  He was so nervous. 


I went to open my mouth and nothing came out.  I went to look at the ring again and it was blurry, its picture fading out.


I furrowed my brows and looked back into his eyes.  "Something isn't right," I could hear myself saying.


"Aleah, what's wrong?"


"Zach..." I trailed off.  The edges started fading into blackness.  Soon, all I could see was Zach's earnest, yet concerned face


"Aleah!  Aleah?"  Then all I could make out was him mouthing my name, and I couldn't hear him.


Then.. "Aleah!"


I jerked awake.  Aaron was slightly shaking me.  I was drenched in sweat, my hands still over my mouth.  "Aleah, are you okay?"


I nodded my head, as I didn't trust myself to speak yet. 


Aaron touched his hand to my cheek, turning my face to his.  "Are you okay?  You were mumbling in your sleep... and..." he didn't finish.


He wiped my cheek, and I realized I had been crying.  He didn't say what we were both thinking: this was the third time this week I'd woken up crying.


"I'm sorry," I whispered.


He kissed my forehead.  "Don't be. I'm so sorry you've been having nightmares."


I cringed hearing the lie I'd told him coming out of his mouth. 


"Come here," he murmured, wrapping an arm under and around me, pulling me to him. 


I curled up against him, resting my hand on his chest.  I sighed, relaxing against his warmth and strength. 


I cracked open my eyes and the faint glow of the sunrise peeking in the window reflected off the sparkling diamond on my left hand, reminding me of the dream I'd had for the third time this week, and I tensed against Aaron's loving embrace.

9 comments:

  1. Zach was puppy love. Aaron is the real deal. Come on Aleah!! TEAM AARON! mum

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trying this again....It isn't that I don't like Zach, I do, however, he has not been invested in Aleah in a really long time. He just isn't. Aaron has been there the entire way. Time to let Zach go....

    That being said, I am sooooo glad this blog is back and I cannot wait to see where Aleah is headed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok I'm team Zach all the way! Besides, if her just seeing him makes her question what she has with Aaron, then somethings wrong. So excited to see where this is going!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Team Aaron!!! I like Zach, I really do. But, Aaron is the real deal. I think she needs to let her history with Zach go so it doesn't hold her back from her future with Aaron.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never thought I would say this, but I wish Zach would just go away. Team Aaron all the way!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Agree! I used to want Zach to come back...but Aaron has totally won me over! Love love love Aaron!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. And thanks for coming back and continuing this story for us! It's worth the wait!

    ReplyDelete
  9. For her to think " I'd been waiting for this moment for what felt like forever" while waiting for Aaron to propose and then be thinking about Zach is just ridiculous. She does not love Zach.

    ReplyDelete