Thursday, September 22, 2016

First and Last

*2 Weeks Ago*


"Aleah!"


It sounded like my name, but I felt stupid turning around if it wasn't.  I kept walking briskly, enjoying the summer heat, but needing to get back to work.  I'd already taken an extended lunch so I could eat and stop in a couple shops.  Aaron and I weren't planning on getting married until next year, but I'd already started perusing bridal shops and created Pinterest boards.  You never know when lightening may strike!


"Aleah!!" I heard, louder.  This time I turned around.  Zach.


He gave me his killer smile.  "I've been calling your name for like a full block now!"


I giggled, embarrassed.  "Sorry.  I was lost in my thoughts."


"It's okay.  I was going to see if you wanted to grab lunch, but I see you already ate," he nodded towards the leftover food box I was carrying.


"Oh yeah, I had grabbed lunch with a friend." I don't know why I felt the need to lie.  "With Aaron."


"How's he doing?"


"Good.  He's been working a lot, going through training for SWAT."


"That's awesome!  Tell him congrats for me."


"Will do."  I lifted my hand to check my watch.  "I really have to get going, I'm..."


Before I could finish, Zach let out a low whistle and grabbed my hand, pulling it closer to his face.


"Aleah, I didn't know," he said softly.  "Congratulations.  He did a good job."  I blushed and looked at his face, but his expression was unreadable. 


"Thank you," I replied, looking down at the ring sparkling on my finger.


"Hey, anyway, I know you need to go, but would you want to get lunch or dinner or a drink sometime soon?"


"Oh, yeah, sure, that'd be great."  I mentally scolded myself for how awkward I now sounded.  "Just, um, text me.  You still have my number?"


"Of course.  I would never lose it."  He smiled at me again, causing me to melt just a little, and he turned to walk away.


~~~~~~~ Current Day ~~~~~~~

I wiped sweat off my forehead with my forearm and sighed.  "This is taking forever," I complained to Sarah.  Since moving in to Aaron's, he had graciously agreed to let me do some painting and upgrading.  I was currently painting the bathroom and Sarah was helping me.  She was much more into home project stuff than I was.

"Stop whining.  I already told you I have a bottle of pink moscato waiting for us as a reward for when we're done."

"Will you two keep living here, now that you guys are getting married?"

"I don't know.  We haven't talked about it. I'd like to get a bigger house, to plan for the future."

"Your kids would be absolutely adorable," she gushed, as a best friend should.

I rolled my eyes.  "That is no where on my radar yet."  She laughed.

"So tell me what happened with Zach."

I told her about seeing him, and how he wanted to get some sort of food.  I told her how awkward I still felt around him and I didn't like how he made me feel, because those feelings made me feel guilty.

"Do you still love him?" she asked, turning her head to watch me.

"I think part of me always will.  We were together a long time.  He was my first love," I finished, quietly, hating to admit that.

"Okay?  But do you want him to be your last?"

And that was the question I wasn't sure how to answer.


7 comments:

  1. Ugh!!!! Why must your posts be so short?? Wait...maybe it's me. Why must I read your posts so fast?! Girl I don't care how many hiatus-es you need to take...don't you ever stop writing! You are so good at pulling me into Aleah's (and now Lexy's) world. Keep it up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need a book of yours to read. I can't get enough of your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! DO.NOT.WANT.ZACH.(anymore). hahah I want something drastic to come in and crush any remaining feelings Aleah had for Zach so they can leave their relationship in the PAST! Can he get a new girl pregnant? Leave town again? Fall in love with someone else STAT?

    Ugh. hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really appreciate your professional approach. These are pieces of very useful information that will be of great use for me in future.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very informative, keep posting such good articles, it really helps to know about things.

    ReplyDelete