Tuesday, February 10, 2015

You're Like Coming Home



I realized with Valentine’s Day approaching that Aaron and I still hadn’t kissed.  We had been close a couple of times.  But when everything happened during the incident, I think Aaron decided to give me the space I needed.  I know that Valentine’s Day is super commercial, but the deep-down hidden romantic part of me loved it.  I pretended I didn’t.  But I did. 

Because of the trauma that had happened to me, Dean (my therapist) had agreed to start out seeing me twice a week.  I had my second session yesterday, which we took to start diving into my history with Luke.   
Also, after my first session last week, Dean had decided to have me temporarily go on Xanax to help with the anxiety I was feeling constantly, and Pristiq to help alleviate the mild situational depression.  So he reached out to a psychiatrist he partners with.  I had been taking those for almost a week and it was amazing the relief I felt.  He had been very upfront that he was using them as an initial aide, but had no intention of keeping me on them long term.  I wasn’t scared to shower when no one was home, and I didn’t feel like staying in bed every moment of every day anymore.

So anyway, because I was feeling slightly more alive, I decided to do something special for Aaron for Valentine’s Day.  I wasn’t sure what exactly, yet, and I also was definitely not ready for anything sexual.  I knew it would take a lot of trust and build up to get there.  But Aaron was having the patience of a saint. 

After my therapy session last night, I went to my parents’ house for dinner.  It was the first time I’d been back there since Christmas break.  It was good to be back with my parents.  They kept the conversation light, and asking me more about Aaron.  I guess since I wasn’t acting like the world was crushing me into a pile of mush, they finally felt like they were to ask me more “normal” questions.  I could feel myself blushing when talking about him. 

As we were finishing eating, the doorbell rang.  My parents both looked at each other, confused.  My dad got up and went to answer it.  “You guys expecting someone?” I asked, after my dad had left the room.

“Nope.  It’s Monday night, we usually just stay to ourselves during the week because of work.  And if it was Ben or Gloria, I’m sure they would’ve called first.”

I could hear voices talking, but couldn’t hear what was being said or clearly enough to tell who it was.  My dad came walking back into the dining room alone.  “Aleah, baby, it’s for you.”

I frowned, even more confused.  “Okay... who is it?”

“Just go,” my dad said, nodding his head towards the front of the house.

I walked into the foyer of the house and stopped in my tracks. 

Every emotion known to man flooded my senses.  Tears welled up in my eyes and I blinked a few times, to un-blur the image of Zach standing there.

His hands were in his pockets, his skin sun-kissed golden.  His hair also lightened.  He was wearing a button down, dark jeans, and loafers.  He looked radiant, and I could feel my heart swell.

He wasted no time striding over to me, and wrapping me into his arms, pressing his lips into my hair on top of my head.  My face was pressed into his shirt, and I started crying softly, his smell being so familiar and reminding me of home.  Not the place.

We stood likes that for minutes, him holding me tightly, letting me cry.  When I finally stopped and hiccupped, he held me out at arm’s length.  “Aleah,” he said gently.

I couldn’t even open my mouth, scared that I would start crying again.  He grabbed my hand and pulled me towards the door, grabbing a blanket out of the front closet.  I had on sweatpants and a sweatshirt.  The temperature was oddly warm for February, being in the low 50’s during the day.  It was cooled down a bit, but was still around 40. 

Once we were outside I saw he had ridden his family’s four wheeler over.  In any other time and place I would’ve smiled at this.  He knew how much I loved riding on the back of the four wheeler with him, growing up.  He got on and climbed on behind him.  I buried my face in his back to block the wind.  And without looking, I knew the familiarity of the path, and that we were winding our way back through the woods to our spot.

When we got there, we silently went into the cabin, and sat next to each other, our sides touching and my legs curled underneath of me.  He wrapped the large quilt around us and put his arm around me, pulling my body against his.

I closed my eyes, comfortable.  I started drifting off when I heard Zach start talking.  “Aleah, I’m so sorry.  I am so incredibly sorry.”

“For what?”  I sleepily asked.

“For not being here sooner.  I didn’t come home for break, and my parents didn’t tell me what happened until just a week ago.  I don’t think they wanted me to know.”

“You don’t have to apologize for that, Zach.”

“Yes, I do.  If I hadn’t gone back to Arizona this school year and transferred here like I wanted to, this would have never happened.  I could’ve been here for you and protected...”

I interrupted and stopped him by placing my finger on his lips.  “No, Zach.  Stop.  You needed to be there.  You needed to finish school there so it showed consistency and stability for your med school applications.”

“But if something more would’ve happened to you... getting into the best medical school on the planet wouldn’t have been worth that.” 

I sighed.  I knew I wasn’t changing his mind.  He pulled me even more into him. 

I felt so safe and warm.  I started to fall asleep, once again. 

But also once again, I was woken up by Zach.  But this time, his other hand was on my chin, tilting my head up towards his, and his slightly parted lips met mine.

18 comments:

  1. Ok, so good news.. I got my laptop up and running long enough to get this posted. However, I can't guarantee when my next post is because it's about to crash and burn. I'm just happy I got this one up so I didn't need to re-write.

    It's a little on the shorter side and not exactly how I wanted it to turn out, but I think the next post will be very defining.

    ~A

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gahhhh! I will be on pins and needles until you post again. I knew it was inevitable that Zach would reappear, and I liked his character from the start, but personally, I am SO much more drawn to Aaron. I felt bad for the Chase character when Aleah broke that off, but it would be SUPER sad if she walked away from Aaron. I am Team Aaron all the way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know Zach is end game, but he always comes back into the story at weird times. She's talking about doing something special for Aaron on Valentine's day and kissing Zach at the end of the post. It just bothers me.sorry for the rant, lol. Your post did something to me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm team Aaron too! 1- I feel like despite them (Z&A) loving eachother that they've really grown apart in the time they've been apart
    2-LBZ really ruined my view of Zach
    3-Aaron deserves a fair chance at being with Aleah. He's amazingly sweet, courageous, willing to take a chance with her & has been actively pursuing her and makes a real effort to be present even before the Luke situation happened.
    Zach was there when he was there but he he was gone he was gone, no real contact at all no real presence.
    #teamAaron!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anon -
      I regrettably have to agree with your second point. I loved Z in LBA, but LBZ just turned me off. I had no doubt about him before, now I just want to see her try with Aaron. And unless Z is here to stay, I think she will. mum

      Delete
  5. Oh my gosh regardless ifor Aaron is a nice guy if aleah is meant to be with the love of her life then in the end it doesn't matter. I was always team zach, I think Aaron is great and was there for her but doesn't mean he has to be her end. and you can't be mad they kissed it never said it was a sexual kiss it could have been just a comforting kiss

    ReplyDelete
  6. Noooooo! Soooo good but I want it to work with Aaron!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Idk! I appreciate that she has a thing with Zach, he's just that person for her, but like above poster said, he's there when he's there, otherwise they have no contact. I too fell more drawn to Aaron. He's really trying and is making a real effort.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like Zach, but damn does he not have a great sense of timing. I really want Aleah and Aaron to keep going.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Omg!! I was so excited and happy to see Zach come back into the story! When I had started reading this post my mind wondered if Zach would find out about what happened to Aleah and make an appearance into the story. So I am pleasantly surprised when it happened as I continued reading! Can't wait to read what's next!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't wait to see who aleah is going to go for!

    ReplyDelete
  11. At first I thought it was Aaron at the door, but when I read that it was Zach I almost teared up. I'm so glad Zach is back, yet I know that he has to return to Arizona. They are in different parts of their lives, and this is not the right time for Zach and Aleah to be together even though they are soul mates. I cannot wait to read more! I'm so excited!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love Zach he just feels like the guy that makes her heart beat faster

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just want to see Aleah with Aaron! I'm sick of Zach coming and going...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aaron is a nice guy but I just don't think he's the one, Zach feels like the one. JJ

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anyone know if life by zach is coming back? Aleah i love every single one of your posts. You are one of my favorite bloggers. Thanks for sharing this story with us.

    ReplyDelete