Friday, February 27, 2015

Stability and Hope



I laid back in bed, and closed my eyes.  The past couple of weeks had flown by thanks to tennis matches every weekend, classes, practices, my two therapy sessions per week, and my boy drama.  I arched my back, stretching, and sighed happily, feeling content, for the first time in a long time.  I rolled over onto my side, snuggling my face into the crook of the neck of the man lying next to me.  I took a deep breath, inhaling the mixture of his natural smell and the faded cologne he had put on this morning.  He had his hand on my cheek, guiding my head up, and lightly placed his lips on mine, holding that moment in place. 

*TWO WEEKS AGO*

My natural instinct was to let Zach kiss me.  I kissed him back, passionately, but slowly the drowsy feeling dissipated and I became fully conscious of what was happening.

I jerked my face away, as if I’d been burned.  Zach looked at me with question, eyebrows raised.  I could barely make him out in the dim light.

“Zach... I... I’m seeing someone.”

“Oh,” he said softly.  Then more firmly, “Oh.  I’m sorry, I didn’t know.”  He shifted in the seat, away from me.  We were still under the same blanket.

“It’s okay, we aren’t officially together, and I guess we really haven’t had an exclusivity talk.”

“Do you love him?”

“I’m not... I don’t know.”

“You know, Aleah, I love you.”

I sighed.  “I know Zach.  And I love you, too.  I’m sure I always will, no matter what.”

“I’m thinking about changing my plans.”

“What do you mean?”  I furrowed my brow at him, though I’m sure he couldn’t tell.

He reached over and started running his fingers through my hair on my scalp.  One of my favorite things, ever.  “I applied to med school at Nebraska, too.  I may come back here.”

My heart stopped.  This.  This is what I have wanted.  Or had wanted?  I don’t know if I knew the answer to that.  All I could manage to utter was, “Oh, wow...”

“I want you, Aleah.  You, and only you.  I screwed up by not transferring and completing senior year here.”

“Zach..”

“No, Aleah.  You don’t need to give me an answer, or try to say something sweet, or make me feel good about anything, or even let me down.  Right now, it is what it is.  I don’t want an answer right now.  I just want you to know how I feel, and what I want.  And please, just think about it.  Even if the answer is yes, you want me, please just think about it.”

“Okay.”  I scooted back over to him, and felt him drop his arm around me, once again, pulling me against him.

I woke up the next day, in the same position, still in Zach’s arms.  Zach had decided to stay there the week, but would stay longer, or come back if I wanted him to.  I spent time with him every day.  We didn’t talk again about med school, or feelings for each other.  But being around him felt natural, and we fell right back into old habits of holding hands, sweet kisses, silent gestures of love.  We didn’t sleep together.

I didn’t see Aaron again until Valentine’s Day.  My matches that weekend were on Friday and Sunday, so I had the whole day to devote to him.  I did drag him along to the other two teams were going head to head, so I could scope out my competition for the following day.  I wanted to do something special for him, but it’s difficult when the weather is terrible. 

I decided to rent a few of his favorite movies (Office Space, Super Troopers, and Green Mile), and have a movie “in home” theater night.  He had already insisted on taking me out for dinner to a nice place, so I let him have that.  Along with the massive bouquet of stargazer lilies he had brought me.  Afterwards we went back to my house.  Sarah was at Matt’s, and Maddie was at Gavin’s, so we had the place to ourselves.  I had set up earlier in the day before we had gotten together.  I had turned the couch and ottoman to sit directly in front of the tv so it looked like a massive couch bed, and thrown somewhere around 8-10 pillows on there with my massive down comforter.  I had bought a bunch of snacky/dessert foods that I knew he’d like (stuff for sundaes with a bunch of different toppings, fudgey brownies, popcorn). 

We both had changed and were in sweats and sweatshirts, curled up under the blanket together.  We were halfway through the first movie (Office Space), when he paused it.  I turned to look at him, and he had a very serious look on his face.  I immediately grew worried.  Maybe he hated my simplistic plan.  “What’s wrong?”

He looked intently into my eyes, and ran his fingertips down the side of my face, sending chills up and down my spine.  “Absolutely nothing.”

He leaned towards me slowly, cautiously, searching my face for any sign of hesitation.  He gently, intentionally, placed his lips against mine, and lightly kissed me.  My eyes closed in happiness and peace.  I had been waiting months for that moment.  He pulled slightly away, but my eyes were still closed, taking in every single sense that he was igniting.

The smell of his laundry detergent, the slightly sweet taste of ice cream from his lips, the burn of his hand on the side of my face causing butterflies to wreck havoc in my stomach.  My heart was speeding up, my breathing quick.

He pressed his lips against mine again, this time hungrily.  I was just as eager as he was, and I kissed back.  The tip of his tongue lightly flicked the tip of mine.  It felt like hours that we sat there making out, like teenagers.  When we were done, it didn’t seem like nearly enough time.  I couldn’t stop the big, goofy grin that was taking over my face.  Aaron stroked my cheek with his thumb, then leaned back over and kissed the tip of my nose.

He cleared his throat.  “Aleah, I know this sounds really corny and cheesy, and I’m actually sorry that this is on Valentine’s Day... but, I don’t want to see anyone else, and I really don’t want you seeing anyone else either... I guess what I’m asking, is will you be my girlfriend?”

Time froze.

I felt the past week with Zach flashing before my eyes.  The touches, the kisses, the natural ease and comfort I felt with him.  The stability.  That he could possibly be here with me, once again.

Then thinking about Aaron I felt electricity, safety, mutual adoration, and respect.  But I didn’t know if I was ready to give up Zach.

Aaron’s hands grabbed both of mine, under the covers and he squeezed.  I looked into his eyes, full of hope and excitement.  I looked away and thought of Zach’s, and how when he looked at me, they were filled with love, memories, and promises. 

I looked back at Aaron.  He was looking at me expectantly.

I knew what I needed to do.

15 comments:

  1. I used to be a huge Zach fan, but I'm rooting for Aaron right now! I also think he's a better fit for Aleah in terms of everything that's happened to her, she's not the same person Zach originally fell in love with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. Aaron has fought hard for Aleah as well.
      I still do really like Zach, but Aaron is exciting and I think he brings out a really good side of Aleah. I don't feel like now is the right time for Zach and Aleah.

      Delete
    2. Im not saying I'm trying to defend zach's side but I don't really know what you mean that Aaron brings out a really good side of aleah? other then him helping her through her attack I don't think we've seen that much of them together to say she has this other side to her because of him

      Delete
  2. I think a lot of people want Aaron. He makes the blog feel exciting again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I may be the only one which makes me sad buy I'm rooting Zach always have. Sounds like the author has made up her mind though all signs point to Aaron, he's not a bad guy I just don't feel it like with zach. Unfortunately I think people are only remembering the life by Zach which I don't think portrayed him like lba did

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not the only one but everyone wants something new as they put it, I think they just want more excitement and Aaron is new and older and he was there when bad things happened to protect her. Honestly I feel her heart should be with Zach that's way more romantic but that wouldn't be as exciting as everyone wants to read.

      Delete
  4. I'm definitely hoping she picks Aaron!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really love Zach...but must say I'm rooting for Aaron right now! There's excitement and seems he is what she needs right now in her life. Gee...what an awful predicament to have...I'm so jealous! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. please! please! please! don't have her blow off Aaron! I am really shipping the the Aleah Aaron (ALRON) romance! I really hope she decides to actually let this play out instead of always blowing off other guys on the off chance that she and Zach may work out.
    Honestly it feels like the only time Zach ever pops up is when Aleah is finally getting happy with someone else ... nice timing there (not!).
    I know Aleah and Zach love each other and I think the two of them always will but if it is never "the right time" will it ever really be? Personally, I think that their time has passed and because the two of them feel so comfortable and safe together they are trying to hold onto something that they maybe should have let go a while ago. Also along the lines of the comfort and safety is that it appears that these two mostly come together when there is something stressful in their lives. AKA Zach swoops in after Aleah's attack (after Aaron picked up the pieces). Or how he swoops in and makes everything feel better after Aleah's dad got sick......
    I don't know I just feel like he is not truly there for her like she thinks he is.

    Ahh sorry for the ramblings like I started off my post I am really shipping Alron (can we make this a thing?!) So I really hope that they can stay together and make things work out! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah but what if she chooses Aaron, it's so new what if he doesn't end up being the one or always wondering if she should have gone for the love of her life zach? But some would argue the other way too. I'll have a sad reaction if she chooses Aaron but I'll keep reading and hope she'll convince me she loves him because I think she likes him not sure it's love

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am definitely in the Aaron camp. Zach has talked about all the things he should have done--transferred home, ben there more for Aleah and now he MIGHT go to Med school in NE, etc. But he didn't transfer home. And just applying to something as competitive as Med school doesn't mean he will get accepted at his first choice schools; that choice is almost out of his hands based on what place or places are willing to admit him. When Zach and Aleah first reconnected, I felt the spark, but Zach is now essentially asking Aleah to put her life on hold for him for the possibility that he might come home. Again, it is the relationship on HIS terms. He left and they were apart because of HIS decision. Even after the New York trip last year, he refused to make this declaration of love and commitment when Aleah was truly available. She would have come running to him, but he chose to walk away. It wasn't a mutual choice; it was Zach's choice. Aaron has, in his words, courted Aleah, kept their interactions mutual, let her come to him on her own terms and has been patient and loving. Zach may seem sweet but there is an underlying selfishness in the decisions he made that hints at continued immaturity. Aleah is ready for a grownup and that is Aaron. At least this is all what I HOPE will happen and now you all know why.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just love Aaron. I want him for myself. So I hope she picks Zach :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think Zach is ultimately Mr. Right, but Aaron is definitely Mr. Right NOW! mum

    ReplyDelete