Monday, June 22, 2015

Let Freedom Ring

"It's much smaller than what it looks like in pictures."

Aaron snickered.  "That's what she said."

I rolled my eyes, but laughed.  "You know it's true."

We were in Philadelphia, exploring the city together.  Aaron had been here for a couple of weeks for his crash reconstruction class.  I had flown out a few days before.  He would go to class during the day, I would hang out at the hotel, swim in the pool, shop, and explore Rittenhouse Square.  He (we) was staying at a hotel right off of Rittenhouse Square.  When he got out, we would find a new restaurant to eat at each night.  It was Saturday now, so we were going to all of the tourist attractions before we flew back to Nebraska the next day.

Currently, we were at the Liberty Bell.  Honestly, I thought it would be bigger.  Still an amazing piece of history, and it was so awesome to see something in real life that I had only read about in books.  But small-ish.

He grabbed my hand and pulled me out of the exit door so more people from the line waiting to see the bell could get in.

We decided to walk around from there.  I loved the narrow carriage-sized side streets, laid in brick.  The architecture of the housing and buildings.  I dragged him into multiple small shops, because I adore hole-in-wall places. 

We also went to the Philadelphia Museum of Art.  Not a huge art fan, but I can respect the artists and their work. 

After, we went to dinner.  We went to Laurel.  When we showed up, we had reservations, which I didn't realize Aaron had made.  I found out after the fact that they are booked up to 2 months in advance, and when he found out he was coming here and I agreed to join him the last leg of his trip, he had booked the reservations.

They also only offer a 7 course Chef's Tasting menu.  Which turned out to be the best 7 dang courses of food I'd ever eaten.

Aaron clearly knows the way to my heart:  through my stomach.

We then casually strolled through the warm night back to the hotel, hand in hand.  It was a quiet vacation.  One of the best I'd been on.

When we got back to the hotel, it was close to 10 p.m., and I was in a food coma.  We laid down and watched a movie that was on HBO, until I drifted off.  I didn't wake until the morning.

When I woke up, before opening my eyes, I reached over to drape my arm over Aaron.  But my arm hit an empty bed. 

My eyes popped open and I quickly looked around the room.  I didn't see Aaron anywhere.  I dropped my feet onto the floor and started to head to the bathroom to see if he was in there when I saw movement out of the corner of my eye.  I turned my head and saw Aaron pacing on the balcony.  He was motioning with his one arm, holding his phone to his ear with the other.

I went to the bathroom and brushed my teeth.  When I came out, Aaron was off the phone, but still on the balcony leaning on it, overlooking the city.

I walked out and wrapped my arms around him from the back, hugging myself into him.  He sighed, and I felt his body relax against mine.  "What's wrong?" I asked, tentatively.

He turned to face me, leaning his back against the railing.  He pulled me into him, wrapping his arms around me, but keeping my face back so he could look into my eyes.  "Aleah, we need to talk."

4 comments:

  1. Hey guys, I know this post was not as detailed as my usual ones. It was kind of a "transitional" post, because I'm about to make a slight shift in the story line.

    ~A

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhhh crapppp...can't wait to see what happens but I feel super nervous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, couldn't we just have a few posts of sweet love before drama hits them? mum

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah... I don't think I can wait another week... So many questions...
    What did Victoria tell her about what Luke was up to/planning??
    How did she respond to Aaron's "I love you"...

    ReplyDelete