Saturday, August 22, 2015

Meeting Quinn

I smoothed my skirt down, nervously.  My palms were sweaty.  I always got nervous meeting parents of significant others anyway, but now that it was happening alone?  My stomach was churning. 

Especially, because I tended to get along better with dads.  I grew up playing with the boys, and so I was good at talking about "boy subjects."  I was more girlie since going to college, but I still was more comfortable talking sports, food, and outdoors-y things.

Aaron's mom was coming into town to check on his place, since he'd left it in a hurry.  Luckily, he didn't have any animals.  I had a key and was stopping in twice a week to get his mail, but I guess she wanted to check in to make sure there wasn't anything major going on.  She blamed it on "mothering him" which she said he hated, but she couldn't help it.

We were meeting at an upscale organic bistro that was only open until early afternoon, serving breakfast and brunch items.  I had gotten us a table and was sipping water, as I wasn't sure how relaxed she would be, though really I wanted to be drinking a bloody instead, to calm my nerves.

I was smoothing my skirt down, once again, when I heard a soft, "Aleah?" from behind me.  I turned my head, to see a gorgeous older blonde standing there, smiling.  I stood up and bent slightly to greet her with a hug. 

"You must be Quinn," I smiled.  "I love your dress!"  She was wearing a Banana Republic dress that I had actually tried on when trying to find something to wear for my interview, but hadn't ended up buying.  Her long blonde hair was pulled back in a sleek, high pony, and she had on black pumps with a green clutch.  In her pumps, she was a couple inches shorter than me. Knowing Aaron is 28, his mom looked way younger than to have a 28 year old.  She reminded me of Heather Locklear.

"Oh, thank you, dear.  I see what my son sees in you, you are absolutely stunning."

I blushed, as we sat back down.  "Thank you... Aaron is an amazing guy."

She smiled, proudly.  "He is."  Her facial expression turned more serious.  "And growing up with a bunch of women, he better be treating you right, because he knows how.  And if he doesn't, let me know."  Then she laughed.

"Oh, I will, but he treats me very well."

She smiled, and looked like she was about to respond, but her eyes drifted past me, warming at whoever she saw.  She stood, and pulled out the chair next to her at our table.  I looked to see an equally as beautiful Hispanic woman approaching, and sit in the chair that was pulled out.  The woman smiled at me and stuck her hand out, which I grabbed and shook.  "Hi, I'm Rosa," she said.

Quinn jumped in, "Oh Aleah, I forgot to mention that Rosa, my girlfriend, would be joining us!"

I smiled and told them that was not a problem.  I was surprised, though, as Aaron had never mentioned that his mom was in a relationship, or in one with a woman.

Quinn spoke, "I was going to come alone, but Rosa wanted to meet you, too, so of course I couldn't say no!"

"And I'm so glad I was able to come along!  Aaron deserves a wonderful girl, and he's spoken so highly of you."

Again, I blushed.  "Oh, well, thank you.  I've really wanted to meet his family, but unfortunately, timing just was inconvenient, and then he left."

His mom looked troubled, then.  "Yes.  Do you know where he is, or have you spoken with Aaron?"

"No," I said, shaking my head.  "Not since shortly after leaving Philadelphia."

"Aaron didn't go into details, but he mentioned that you had a lot going on and he was worried about you." Quinn continued, jumping right in.  I could appreciate how direct she was.  "He said that he was considering not taking the job, but thought it was best in the long run."

I looked down at the table.  I didn't realize he was actually considering not taking the job because of  me.  I looked back, meeting each of their questioning eyes.  "There was a situation... I was assaulted.  And Aaron showed up and kept it from becoming more than it already was.  And the guy who... who almost really hurt me, he had been bonded out of jail and was running around loose when Aaron had to leave."

Rosa and Quinn's eyes were wide.  Quinn reached over and laid her hand on top of mine.  "I'm so sorry to hear that, Aleah.  I wish Aaron would've shared so I could've reached out sooner, but I understand why he didn't.  That's your story to tell."

"Thanks.  It was hard, but Aaron was my rock.  I know that sounds super corny.  But it's true.  So it's been really difficult not having him here, now."  I decided to quickly change the subject, though, because I didn't want to start crying the first time I meet his mom.  "Anyway, how is your visit going?"

Rosa smiled, knowingly.  "It's been good.  This is my first time even visiting Nebraska.  There's a lot of corn," she stated, matter-of-factly.

I laughed.  "It's true.  I swear there's more than corn here... like amazing steak houses!"

She and Quinn both laughed, then.  Quinn said, "I love a good steak, but Rosa here..." She shook her head and smiled at her.  "Rosa is a vegetarian."  And she rolled her eyes, playfully.

"Oh!  I'm sorry for..."

Rosa cut me off, "Oh, don't apologize.  It's not because I think there's anything wrong with it.  It's purely for health reasons."

"How long have you two been together?" I asked.

Rosa nudged Quinn with her shoulder, "It's your turn to tell our tale!"

Quinn smiled back at her.  "You're so ridiculous, sometimes.  Rosa and I were best friends in high school.  We each got married in college and lost touch.  We ran into each other a few years after we each had been divorced after she moved back to Aurora."  She must have seen a blank look on my face, so she clarified.  "Aurora is where we live.  It's a suburb outside of Chicago.  It's our hometown.  So it was like we'd never lost touch, and we picked back up where we left off... well, and a little more.  I always knew I loved her and wanted her friendship.  I just didn't know that she was what I needed in my life, too."  Rosa lightly touched her arm, and they smiled at each other.

Rosa jumped in, then.  "But, what she didn't know then," she nodded her head towards Quinn, "was that I had always been in love with her, and was just waiting, and hoping, that she'd eventually feel the same way for me!  And to answer your question, we've been together for 10 years."

"So, do you have any kids?" I asked Rosa.

She shook her head.  "No.  I always knew who I really was.  When I saw Quinn move on with a husband, I tried to convince myself that I could be happy with a husband, too.  How foolish was my thinking back then?  Anyway, my marriage didn't last long, and there weren't any kids."

The rest of brunch went by smoothly, and they shared a lot of stories from Aaron as a child and growing up.  As we were parting ways and saying goodbye, Quinn said they weren't flying out for another few days, and she'd like to get together again before then, if I'd be up for it.

"Of course!" I replied.  I felt like this may be the first boyfriend's mother, since Zach's mom, that I could actually get along with and like.

She hugged me goodbye, and told me she'd touch base the next day so we could set up plans.

8 comments:

  1. Yay! I am glad something goes well for Aleah for once! But bringing up Zach still tugs at my heartstrings hahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too!!! Maybe he can come into town for a visit soon lol

      Delete
    2. Ugh me too! I love Aaron, but still have a pretty serious soft spot for Zach!

      Delete
    3. Let him stay in the past. There is a reason why they are seperated right now. Besides we all know he will come back when it's right, but for nowAleahh is fine without him blurring the lines.

      Delete
  2. I miss Aaron! Come baaaaack haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Noooooooo Zachhhh, guys. ^^ hahaha come on!!!

    I kept hoping Aaron would make a surprise appearance when Aleah was meeting his mom (wishful thinking :D). I am hoping he makes an appearance soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Far fetched, I know, and maybe I need to go back and read, but is there a chance that these gals aren't who they say they are? Could whatever Aaron is up to have these girls trying to track him down? I know....it's a little much for a Monday, but I just felt like something was off. mum

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah I got a little idk, has Aaron ever mentioned his dad or that his mom came out after he was grown seems like he would have but then again maybe it just hasn't come up

    ReplyDelete