Thursday, October 16, 2014

Life By Zach: Back to normal


I guess no one will be surprised:  I am not dating Beth anymore.  Her "other news" was a weak attempt to let me know she had a pregnancy scare, but in the end she wasn't. I sat there trying to take everything in, this picnic I planned for her was supposed to be a redeeming or defining moment for us, a chance to connect with each other and with nature, yet all this girl was worried about was our Facebook relationship status. The fake pregnancy scare was her way of telling me that even though she wasn’t pregnant, it made her really want to get serious with me. I just couldn’t understand how someone could possibly even entertain that kind of rationale. Her attempt to manipulate me was the last straw for me. Even though she begged me not to break up with her, I had to stick to my guns this time. Everything that has gone on in the past few weeks really made me open my eyes. I haven’t felt like myself, and it was beginning to scare me how easily one can be drawn away from their path and their values.

I have a serious future ahead of me, I want to go to medical school, I want a successful career and a solid financial future. I am planning a trip to New York in the near future to look at med schools. I can't be so lost about Aleah that I allow myself to be distracted by someone as shallow as Beth. I have no problems going out on dates with girls I might meet, but Beth just wasn't it for me. I need to re-focus on school and on my future, because hopefully someday Aleah can be a part of that future.

My day today was pretty standard; I went to the gym and finally had a really good workout. I want to go snowboarding this winter after watching my all time favorite snowboarder, Jeremy Jones, in his latest documentary "Higher." He is one of the most impressive professional snowboarders out there, and he has never sold out just for sponsorships. He continues to reinvent himself and flies down mountains without a single fear. I want that!!


After my workout I grabbed a quick protein shake and packed up my backpack for an afternoon in the library. As I was heading out, I felt my phone vibrate and fished it out of my bag.

Ben: Beers bro!

I hesitated for just a minute before replying: Gotta study. I'll catch you later.

I can't get sucked into another one of Ben's drinking days, because they're exactly that: drinking that turns into an entire wasted day. Pun intended.

As I walked across the quad towards the library, I heard someone calling my name.

"Zach wait up!"

I turned around to find Andrew, one of Ben's fraternity brothers behind me.

"What's up man?" I asked him. Andrew is a year behind me in school and has been struggling a bit with his classes this semester.

"Not much, just wanted to see if I could talk to you for a minute."

"Sure, what's going on?"

“Ben said you guys took Intro to Law together.”

“Yeah, I really liked that class.” Even though I want to go to medical school, I fascinated by the law, which is why my roommate and I probably get along so well.

“Well, we have this paper on Conflicts of Law due next week, it’s rough stuff bro.”

“Dude it’s not that hard. You just have to apply the significant contacts test and then weigh the balancing factors.”

“Yeah, I have no idea what you just said.” Andrew seemed to be getting more and more frustrated.
 I wasn’t sure exactly how to help him, when I struggled with a  paper or a certain topic I just made sure I did the proper research so that I could understand what I was supposed to be writing about.

“Did you do some research or search the exam bank for previous similar essays?” I asked him.

“Yeah, but I can’t find anything. Do you still have your research or notes or maybe even your paper?”

“I do..” I hesitated, “But it wouldn’t really help you actually learn the material.”

“Can I just look at it as a beginning point? I am really struggling here and I am afraid I’ll fail the class. If I do I will get kicked off the lacrosse team and out of the frat.”

“Ok. Just take a look at some of the materials I have, but be careful and don’t share anything ok? I don’t want us getting in trouble.”

When we got to the library I pulled out my laptop and emailed Andrew some of my notes and my paper, and then got to work on my own studies. I buried myself in work for a good 4 hours, and then walked home slowly.
 It felt good to be productive again today, to get things done and re-focus on what’s important. Hopefully now it’s smooth sailing.

4 comments:

  1. That's going to bite him in the ass.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It so totally is. He should have just sent him his notes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. If there's a zero tolerance policy on cheating, he's going to be screwed. Andrew didn't seem like he was interested in doing any actual work.

      --Nicole M.

      Delete