Thursday, October 9, 2014

Life by Zach: Defining things



So it’s been about three weeks of dating Beth – I can’t say that they have been very eventful though. We don't really do anything of substance. Our dates consist mainly of sorority parties, drinking games and listening to Beth and her girlfriends go on and on about who is dating who. So this weekend I decided that I’m going to plan a date for us that would be a little different, so that I could really figure out if I should continue this or not (even though I think I already know the answer to that one).

The date I planned for us was an outdoor one, because I love being active and I thought it would be a great way to bond over something other than shots of tequila, which I was getting very tired of. I decided we would go on a hike and then have a picnic. I know it seems kind of cheesy for a guy to incorporate a picnic into a date, but it’s the kind of thing Aleah and I would have done and absolutely loved. So I told Beth I would be picking her up on Saturday morning and to wear comfortable shoes.

When I got to Beth’s apartment, she bounced down the stairs in a dress and flip flops. Oh boy.

“Uhm, you may want to throw on some sneakers..” I suggested

“Why babe? You said comfy shoes. These are toats the best!”

“We’re gonna do some walking.”

“Ooh like at the outdoor mall?!” she squealed.

I was starting to think that my idea of surprising her with a hike would be a surprise all right, but not the kind I imagined.

“Well…not really. We’re going on a hike.” I said.

Silence. I could practically see the wheels turning in her head.

“Babe. I can wear my new Lulu Lemon yoga pants and pink Reeboks! Yay!”

Ok, I guess she found a silver lining. As I waited to her to change into whatever this lemon thing was she mentioned, I found myself wondering just what I was doing with her. I know, she’s no Aleah, that’s very obvious. And I also knew, even though I had a hard time admitting it to myself, that I allowed myself to get roped into this whole thing with Beth on an impulse because I was thrown by that picture I saw of Aleah at Elena’s wedding. So I guess in my mind I am hoping that eventually she will turn into the girl I want her to be. I know it sounds crazy; I know I shouldn’t be with someone I wish were totally different. But who knows, maybe she will love this hike and we can find some common ground.

We drove to the campsite and got all the gear out of the car. I had everything packed into a big backpack so that Beth would not have to carry a heavy bag; I didn’t want to overwhelm her too much. I handed her a water bottle as she glanced towards the trail with suspicion.

“Uhm, do you think there are bears?” She asked.

“Don’t worry, we’re going to be fine.” I reassured her.

The first twenty minutes or so, everything seemed to go well. The weather was perfect, and the trail was beautiful. I’d come hiking here many times before, so I knew exactly where to go. Beth was walking along next to me, humming to herself and seeming to enjoy being outdoors with me.

“Maybe we CAN do this,” I thought.

As we continued to walk, we came to one of the smaller crossings that had a small river running through it. I have crossed it many times, its not very deep or intense so I figured we would be ok. I did notice that today it seemed to be flowing with a bit more strength, but I thought nothing of it.

“Are we turning around?” Beth asked

“No, we’re going to cross it and then set up our picnic about another 30 minutes north of here.”

“Oh. Uhm babe? I’m going to get wet though."

“It’s going to be ok." I reassured her. "Its warm out today and we’ll dry up in no time.”

“Ugh. Ok. Just stay close in case I slip ok?”

“Of course!”

We moved ahead, but on either the first or second step I took, my foot started to slip off one of the nearly submerged rocks. I assessed the situation before me and realized I had a choice of either stepping directly into a foot and a half of deep water or just leaping to the next rock and hoping for the best. I chose to leap. I made the jump and landed on that rock, excited that I made it! However, I also quickly realized that my momentum was not going to allow me to stop jumping once I started, so I just leapt again, and again, and again. Within 2 seconds flat, I landed on the other side of the river, upright and completely dry! I was stoked!!

I turn around to see Beth just staring at me, mouth wide open.

“Uh oh.” I thought. “Ok I have to encourage her.”

“You can do it Beth, just jump onto the rocks like I did!”

“NO!” she yelled.

“Come on, I know you can!”

I was sure she would turn around, but surprisingly enough, she took the first jump and made it. She looked at me triumphantly and then tried the second jump. And this is where it all went wrong. In a matter of seconds Beth slipped off the second rock and landed on her butt with a big thump. I started to laugh because in all honesty it was funny, but then immediately jumped into the water to help her up.

“Are you ok?”

“I’m soaked!!” she yelled.

“I’m so sorry Beth, let’s get you across and keep moving so you dry off.”

I helped Beth across the water, but from that moment on, she lost any enthusiasm she had. The rest of the hike was spent complaining about how cold she was (it was about 90 degrees outside), how dumb hiking is, and “who even does this for a date?”

After what seemed like an eternity we finally got to the spot where I wanted us to stop for lunch. I unpacked the picnic while Beth watched in silence. I had decided to go all out with this picnic and packed us an assortment of goodies. I put together steak and blue cheese quesadillas, small chicken salad sandwiches, and hummus and pita chips. I also brought strawberries and raspberries that I put on small skewers so that we could eat them easily. Lastly, I brought along two mason jars of sangria that I had packed on ice for us to drink.

“Wow. This is nice.” Beth said.

Finally! No complaints. We started to eat, and for a few minutes things seemed to be normal again.

“Babe, I’ve been thinking.” She started.

This can’t be good.

“About what?” I asked wearily.

“About Facebook.”

“What about it?” I asked.

“Well, when are we going to be in a Facebook relationship?”

Oh man. Now I realize Facebook is a big deal to some people, but it never has been to me. I just never saw the point of announcing things to the world like what you had for dinner, or what things you think about every second of the day. I used Facebook primarily to keep in touch with people from home or to find about some of my school events, but otherwise I really just didn’t care.

“I just feel like you don’t care about me at all, babe. Randy Williams and Lacey Rogers got into a Facebook relationship like a week after they started dating.”

“Uhm, ok. How is that a gauge for a successful relationship?” I asked.

“Ugh, you’re such an ass.” She yelled.

I don’t know. Am I being an ass? Are my reservations much deeper than just not really caring about Facebook? Maybe deep down inside I know Aleah will see that and I don’t really want her to. But I also know that it’s not fair to Beth because my heart isn’t in this 100%. This argument seemed so trivial.

“There’s something else you should know babe.” Beth stated smugly.

Uh oh. My stomach sank. This can’t be good.



18 comments:

  1. Omg Beith is so annoying lol I hope shes not preggers!!
    Good postI'm liking Zach's POV so far!! :):)

    - S

    http://lifebysarahxo.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please don't let her be pregnant!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohh I kinda hate her!! Haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chris - @nylonlover69 on TwitterOctober 9, 2014 at 4:15 PM

    Run. Run like your life depends on it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. She is SO annoying! Please end this soon

    ReplyDelete
  6. I find this Zach doesn't really sound like the Zach from LBA..I feel like im reading about two completely different people when he's referenced in LBA & here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! I keep hoping for something better out of this, but I am continually disappointed. This character is nothing like the Zach we were introduced to in LBA.

      Delete
    2. I'm not feeling it either. I've been disappointed with these posts. I adore Aleah's posts and her story but this one about zach is a huge let down.

      Delete
  7. I think some stuff does sound like him, that picnic was super sweet. I think he's just trying to figure out life without Aleah for the moment and if he dates the wrong person it probably makes him even more aware how right she is. The story from his view can't be about him being with aleah right now if that's now whats happening in her perspective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it has anything to do with him being with Aleah or not nor is it whether he can plan a date like Zach does in LBA, it's this whole portrayal of him & his inner voice that just isn't matching the Zach we've heard from in LBA...definitely coming off as two different Zachs who both know a girl name Aleah...also I find it very obvious that his perspective is written by a female

      Delete
  8. Agreed, and I am curious what the perspective would look like from a male voice. But oh well, it's a guilty pleasure to read.

    I think it does sound like Zach ! I know exactly what it's like when you're doing something that isn't really you. It's hard to figure out when you're trying something new wether you don't like it or you're just afraid of change.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't know how I feel about these posts. I wanted to read Zach's perspective. However I can't get into these posts. It's nothing like the Zach we've read about and difficult to get into. Also not to be petty but it would be nice if the author would respond to comments like aleah does. Oh well. I'll keep reading and hope that the storyline improves and becomes more in line with the zach we know of.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Everyone!!!

    Thank you so much for all your comments, your feedback is very valuable!! I am sorry it has taken me some time to respond, I started a new job and life has been rather hectic.

    I am sorry to hear many of you do not like Zach's story. I think the confusion lies in the fact that the story line is more his life as it is now versus his version of the story as told by Aleah. I did not want to change that story because their love is so special and we all know that they have a unique bond. Rather, I just wanted to write a few stories about his dating experiences in college and then his life as it continues to progress. But I understand the confusion and dislike if many of you were expecting his viewpoint on what has already been written about. I can certainly try and incorporate his thoughts on past experiences with Aleah that you have read about, so I thank you guys for pointing that out!

    I always welcome all feedback, so any further ideas and suggestions are appreciated.

    I will also try and sound more like a guy, it's hard because I don't want to make the posts to short or less detailed but I will do my best. :)

    Again, I thank you all for reading and taking the time to share your opinions!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Sophia, thank you for responding to the comments. It's not that we want you to incorporate the past into the story for me this Zach is completely different personality wise from aleahs Zach. His actions, personality and train of thought are completely different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is exactly what I was going to reply!!!! I agree 199%

      Delete
    2. Agreed. The personality traits do not match the Zach we were introduced to in LBA. This Zach doesn't even seem like the same person. Even if Zach and Aleah aren't together, he wouldn't be completely different personality wise.

      Delete
  12. Sophia, I appreciate you taking time to write these posts. I've read the posts and have felt a disconnect because your Zach is nothing like aleah. I don't think any of us want you to write about their history. That's not where the disconnect lies. It's more that your Zach has a personality that's completely different. He's not what we expected. We want to love your story and would appreciate it if you would stay more in line personality wise with the Zach we were introduced to.

    ReplyDelete