Monday, November 17, 2014

LbA: Crazy and Crazier



“Chase,” Amanda cooed.  “It’s so good to see you again.  It’s been too long!”

Chase just looked at her blankly, but it didn’t seem to phase her.  And if it did, she didn’t show it.

She turned to me.  “So this is the guy you’re dating?  And how long have you two been together?”  She looked back and forth between us expectantly, while Amber just looked amused.

“Oh, um,” I stuttered, looking at Chase, unsure exactly what to say.

Chase chimed in, sensing my discomfort, “We’ve been dating for a couple months.”  He smiled and wrapped his arm around my waist, pulling me closer to him, and kissed my cheek.

Amanda glared at him, and I raised my eyes in question, not sure what her problem was.  “I see,” she snipped.  She looked at me and smiled sarcastically.  “Good luck hanging on to this one.  And Chase?” she asked turning to him.  “Let’s get together and catch up soon?”  She leaned over and hugged him, and kissed his cheek.  He stood there limply, not returning the affection.

“Bye, Amanda,” is all he replied.

She batted her lashes at him and turned back to me.  “Bye Aleah!”  I smiled weakly, in return.

I fully turned my body to face Chase.  He cupped my face in my hands and kissed me gently.  He grabbed my hand and pulled me towards the door.  “Are we leaving?” I asked.

“Nope.”

We stepped outside and he guided me off to the side, away from the people entering and exiting the bar’s door.  He shoved his hands in his pocket and looked up at the darkening sky.  It was minutes before he spoke, and I watched his face quietly, noting that he looked relaxed, but in thought.

“So remember when you told me you had a crazy ex and I told you I did, too, but it was a different story for a different day?”

“Amanda?” I asked incredulously.

“Yeah.”  He sounded disappointed.  Like he was disappointed in himself. 

I tried not to cringe.  “Oh.  I definitely wouldn’t have guessed that.  So, how long were you two together?”

“Five years.”

“Seriously?” I exclaimed. 

He laughed.  “Yes, seriously.  We broke up about two years ago, but we were together all through high school and your guys’ sophomore year we broke up.”

“May I ask why?”

“Of course.  You can always ask me anything.  We were just having a lot of problems and we just wanted different things in the end.”

“Different things?”

“She wanted a ring and I didn’t want to give it to her.”

“I see.  Do you two still have contact?”

“What you just saw was the first contact we’ve had in over a year.  I would hope she didn’t somehow find out we were here and show up, but more than likely she saw that picture of us on Facebook from Elena and Jeff’s wedding and thought we would be together.”

I thought to Facebook and remembered that she and I were “friends” on there.  And I also knew that Sarah had tagged me here at the bar.  “You’re probably right.  She was probably hoping when she saw me that you’d be with.”

He shrugged.  During a previous date, he had mentioned that he didn’t care about my past and I could tell him as little or as much as I wanted.  And although he was open in everything I asked, he also wasn’t forthcoming with information.  “Let’s go back in.” 

He put his arm around my shoulder and kissed the side of my head.  When we got back to the tables that we had pushed together as a group, Sarah raised an eyebrow questioningly at me.  I leaned over and told her I’d explain later.

“So, Halloween... do you get dressed up?” I tried asking Chase nonchalantly, because I didn’t want him to think Halloween was super lame and knock off some awesome points I’d earned.  We were in the library at UNL.  He was helping me study for a test I had the next day on Friday.  Almost a week had passed since Sarah had asked me about us double dating, and I kept forgetting to ask Chase about it.

He looked up from the flashcards he had helped me make and grinned.  “Are you trying to ask me if I want to get dressed up in a couples costume?”

“Maybe... so whatdya think?”

“Would we be going somewhere special?”

“Well, Sarah asked if we would want to go on a double date with her and Matt to the corn maze and haunted house and then come back to campus for some parties.  I know you may not want to hang out with the college crowd, so even if you want to do the first part and we can skip out on the parties, that’s okay, too...”

“Aleah,” he silenced my rambling with a kiss, “as long as we get to be together, I don’t care what we do.  I think it sounds like fun.”

“I’ll let her know.” He looked back down at the next flashcard, and I watched him as he started reading the question, studying his lips.  In that moment, I wanted him.  There was just something about this man.  Watching him care about me, and the (what would be) trivial things like helping me study.  Diligent and attentive.  That made him extremely sexy.  More than he already was.  But, I also didn’t want to jump into bed with him.  We really weren’t “official” yet, although we had been seeing each other for almost 2 months.  And at least on my end, it had been exclusively.  We didn’t really talk about it, and I was okay with that.  After the Luke debacle, I was really alright with taking my time.

He was looking at me, waiting.  I obviously had missed the question.  Instead of guessing or asking him to repeat, I asked if he wanted to get out of there.  We were both parked at my apartment.  It was cool outside, but it was still a half hour walk.  I knew by the time we got back, even if my apartment was empty, nothing would be happening.  He had to work the next day, and I had to make it to class on time since there was the test.

When we arrived back at my apartment, he said he would walk me to the door before taking off.  We stepped inside the building, and Victoria was standing there about to walk out.

I narrowed my eyes at her and stepped to the side so she could pass, but she stopped, looking wide-eyed at me and then Chase.  “Uh, hi, Aleah.”

I cocked my head and looked at her suspiciously.  What was with these non-friends being nice to me all of a sudden?  “Victoria.”  And I nodded my head.

She looked around, and shifted on her feet.  “I just wanted to tell you...” And she stopped.

“What is it, Victoria.”  I was torn because my iciness at her came out quickly and naturally, but I didn’t want Chase to see this side of me.  I stole a glance at him and noted that he appeared confused.

Her switch seemed to flip then.  She went from what appeared to be paranoia to anger.  She sighed and rolled her eyes.  “I just wanted to tell you, once again, to stay away from Luke.  He doesn’t want you.”  And before I could respond, she took off like a bullet through the door.

“What in the...” I trailed off.  I looked over at Chase, mortified, as we started climbing the stairs.  “Chase, that’s not true at all.  I told you about my crazy ex?  Well, meet crazy ex’s fiancée.  I swear to you that I’ve not been near him on purpose or even flirted with him since we broke up last school year.”

Before I could continue, he cut me off.  “Aleah, I believe you.  She seemed a little... off, anyway.  I trust you and don’t think you’d lie to me.” 

We had arrived at my door.  “Why are you so calm and okay with this?”

“Why wouldn't I be?  I told you that everyone has a past, and I don’t care about yours, just about your present.  Unless it’s somehow affecting us now.”

“Not us, just me,” I said, annoyed that I ever got involved with Luke in the first place.

“Hey,” he gently said, wrapping his arms around me and pulling me close, “I feel like maybe this is something you’d like to tell me more about.  Since it’s affecting you, I want you to tell me what’s going on, and maybe we can figure out a solution together?  I don’t want anything bad happening to you.”

I nuzzled my face into his chest.  Content.  “Thank you, Chase.”

He leaned back a little, and then down to kiss me, tenderly, but passionately.  “I’ll talk to you tomorrow, Aleah.  Goodnight.”

3 comments:

  1. I may be way off here but I'm starting to get the feeling that Chase is so disinterested in Aleah's past because he has something he is hiding in his.

    http://jocelynseverydayjourneys.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it!!! Ps can someone post the link to Sarah's blog. I got a new phone and lost my favorites in my internet browser.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://lifebysarahxo.blogspot.ca/?m=1

      Delete