Saturday, November 8, 2014

Life by Zach: Bonust Post!!


“Mr. Andrews was my student three semesters ago. International Law is not a required course for some majors, and Mr. Andrews informed me that he was taking this class because he wanted to ensure his transcript provided him with elective courses that would help prepare him for his career and life instead of those that are merely taken by students wishing to receive an easy A as they call it.” Professor Henke paused for a moment and cleared his throat, and almost out of nowhere a young woman appeared and offered him a glass of water.

“Nobody offered me water,” I thought, and felt the urge to laugh. Sometimes that will happen to me, finding the comedy in a moment that is otherwise anything but funny. I have come to realize that this is a defense mechanism I acquired over time; I turn to humor, even if just through an internal dialogue. Somehow this helps calm my nerves and gives me the ability to then re-focus my thoughts into coming up with a rational response to what is happening to me at the moment.

Professor Henke took a long sip of his water, set the glass down on the table in front of him and continued.

“Our class met twice a week, and I estimate that Mr. Andrews  came and spoke with me at least once a week.”

“What do you mean, spoke to you?” asked one of the committee members.

“He often made extra notes about the reading, and asked me thought provoking questions about the material. Mr.Andrews truly tried to understand the concepts I was teaching, and also sought to apply them to real life scenarios. That is the kind of analytical mind that this University needs. “

I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. I never imagined that my simple desire to speak with my Professor about the topics that intrigued me the most about his class would leave such an impression in his mind.

“I also witnessed Mr.Andrews trying to help his classmates understand some of the trickier concepts. I attempted to run the class using the Socratic method used in law school lectures where I asked the students questions and they had to essentially explain the material and analysis to me.  There were many  moments where I allowed the students to pair up or work in groups of three when we had difficult material that I would ask questions about. Mr.Andrews often helped his fellow classmates understand the material by patiently discussing his notes and his analysis with them, and this leads me to believe that it is simply in Mr.Andrews good nature and passion for learning to acquiesce when a friend asks for help.  Perhaps Mr.Andrew’s  fault in this matter is being a bit too trusting, and I can certainly see the need for him to admit that and possibly suffer some consequences for being somewhat reckless with his trust.”

I was completely blown away. I had no idea he even noticed when I used to help my classmates, I didn’t even see it as helping, I just kind of figured we were all helping each other understand. And he’s right. Trusting so blindly is reckless. What an awful and sad lesson to learn, that using something as good as trust generously can be deemed reckless. Sucks.

“Professor Henke, we appreciate you coming and speaking before the committee today. Your insight into this matter has certainly been very helpful to us. Mr.Andrews, the committee is going to reach a decision today. Please step outside of the room and we will call you back in when we are ready to proceed.”

I stood up to leave the room, and gave Professor Henke a grateful smile as I left.

As I sat outside and waited, I came to the conclusion that I was going to have to accept the consequences of what happened. I should have known better. I should have trusted my gut, because deep down inside I had this nagging feeling that maybe I shouldn’t trust him. But then I swept that away and thought everything would be fine. And I learned the hard way that I need to listen to my gut more.

After 20 minutes, I was called back in. Before the comitte could speak, I asked if I could say something. The question seemed to surprise the committee, but thankfully, they let me proceed.

“I just want to say that what Professor Henke said is true. I was reckless with my trust. I made  a mistake and I will take responsibility for that mistake. It was never my intention to cheat, or help someone else cheat. I wanted to help Andrew, but I should have been more careful. I want to go to med school and become a doctor, and in that profession, I can’t be reckless. So I just wanted you to know that I accept and respect whatever choice you make today.”

The committee members exchanged looks, and the Dean cleared his throat.

“Mr.Andrews, we appreciate your comments.  We have made a decision. It is our position that while it may not have been your intent to cheat, that is exactly what resulted.”

Oh man. This isn’t good.

“We find that there must be  consequences for your part in this. We will leave your grade in the class as it is, and you will not be expelled. However, you will work for Professor Henke as a TA for the remainder of your time here. This means you will be working with him twice a week, assisting with preparation of lectures and things of that nature.  If you do not keep up with this, you will receive a failing grade for the class and we will consider expulsion. Do you understand?”

“I understand. Thank you so much. And I will work very hard for Professor Henke, I promise.”

“Thank you for coming Mr.Andrews. Professor Henke will be in touch with you this week.”

I couldn’t even believe it.  That didn’t even sound like a punishment! I would love a chance to TA for Professor Henke, I even considered asking him about it once. 

As I walked to my car, I shook my head in disbelief. What a crazy ordeal. I was so scared, and yet in some super weird way I appreciate that all this happened. I learned a very valuable lesson and then something good did come out of it at the end. I am so grateful.

I glanced at my watch and realized I needed to hurry up – I have my internship interview to get to!!


4 comments:

  1. Chris - @nylonlover69 on TwitterNovember 10, 2014 at 8:19 AM

    Love it! Sometimes hard work is indeed rewarded and certainly was in this case. Hope we hear what happened to Andrew, but pretty sure turning in someone else's paper as your own will net an expulsion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris - Yes, we will find out what happens to Andrew. And you're right, hard work does pay off, even if it is not the way we expected. Thank you for reading and commenting!!! :)

      Delete
  2. I just love Zach's character. He will make a great doctor, and when he and Aleah are ready, a great husband and father. Yes, I'm staying positive that they will eventually end up together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joangel! Thank you so much for your comment. I love Zach's character too, and I am so proud that I can develop his story for everyone. Thank you for reading. And believe me, we are on the same page, I want nothing more than for him and Aleah to end up together ;)

      Delete