Friday, December 5, 2014

LbA: Dilemma



Once inside my apartment after cleaning up the stairs, I immediately got into the shower.  I was completely grossed out by the Great Trash Incident of 2014.  By the time I was out, I had missed my two morning classes.  Coach was not going to be happy if he found out, seeing as how we’d basically been gone the past several weeks.

I grabbed my syllabus’ from the two classes and the text books and my laptop, slid everything into a bag and left to head to a coffee shop.  I decided that if I wasn’t going to be able to make the classes, the least I could do would be to catch up on the reading and work on any papers coming due.

I went to my favorite coffee shop, ordered a Chai Latte, and hunkered down in a corner on one of the plush comfy chairs with all my stuff surrounding me.  I plugged headphones into my phone and hit my music playlist on random.

I sat there for hours, and felt that it was the most productive I had been in my whole college career combined.  I smiled, happy.  I checked the time and tensed up, momentarily forgetting that I didn’t have practice and thinking I was late.  I relaxed again, thankful that we had two weeks off of practice before we started up again to prepare for season start in January. 

I opened up Facebook on my laptop and started faux-stalking people.  I was quickly writing happy birthday on the walls of those whose day it was, when I felt someone watching me.  I slowly moved my eyes up from my laptop.

It took me a moment to register the smiling face in front of me, but I set my laptop on the table in front of me and jumped up.  I ran over and threw my arms around Joe’s neck.  “Joseph Peterson!  How are you, friend?” I squealed.

“Aleah!  It is so good to see you.”  He wrapped his arms around me, squeezing tightly.

“I’ve missed you!  I’m so sorry I’ve been a bad friend.  I really should be calling you more often.”  I pulled away and went and sat down and he came and sat in the chair next to mine.

“It’s okay.  Obviously the phone works both ways.”

“So, what are you doing?  Where are you working?”

“I’m working for the Big Brothers, Big Sisters corporate offices, but also have a “little brother,” too.  I just really wanted to do something to help people.  I have such a passion for kids these days and feel like they aren’t parented or mentored appropriately, so I want to be able to be that figure that these boys out here can look up to.”

“Joe, that’s so great!  You make a great role model.”

He smiled, warmly.  “What about you?  How are classes?  Excited to almost be done?”

“Oh my gosh, yes.  I just really don’t enjoy going to classes.  I mean, I’ve learned some interesting stuff, but I’m ready to be done with school.”

“Do you know what you’re going to do, yet?”

“No.  I figured I have time to look, right?”

He laughed.  “Sure.  I’ve been checking the tennis website to watch the results.  You’ve done well so far!  How are you feeling about this being your last season?”

I sighed.  “I’m actually sad about it.  I’m really going to miss not only being on a team, but just competing.”

“You know they have adult leagues.  And you can still enter into some tournaments with me!”

“True.  We’ll have to play in some summer leagues next year.  Our rating is going to be so high, though.  Hopefully they’ll have a team around here we can join.”

“So, how’s the love life?”

“It’s really good,” I gushed.  “I’ve been seeing this guy, Chase.  He’s an accountant and treats me really well!”

“Just seeing?  Not exclusive?”

“Well... not yet.  I feel like it’s probably heading that way.  But I think there’s this detective that has a crush on me or something, too.”  I could feel myself uncontrollably grinning, while talking about Chase and Aaron.

Joe raised an eyebrow at me.  “Interesting.  Is that crush mutual?”

I quickly (too quickly) said, “No!”  Joe gave me a look.  “I don’t know.  Maybe.”  I shyly looked away.  “There’s just something... different about him.  He’s not like anyone I’ve ever dated.  What about you?”  I was feeling anxious to change the focus of conversation off of me, all of a sudden.  I realized that maybe I wasn’t as sure about my feelings towards those two guys, and I didn’t want to think about it right then.

“I’ve gone on a few dates.  Nothing too serious.”

Joe and I sat there and caught up for awhile longer, about our families, more on his job, and making plans to hit soon.  By the time he said he needed to go-he was taking his “little brother” to the arcade- I realized how much I had missed him.  I promised to do a better job of staying in touch. 

When I got back to the apartment, Maddie was curled up on the couch watching Moulin Rouge.  She and Sarah were obsessed with it.  They watched it constantly and when they weren’t watching it, they were playing the soundtrack and singing it.  Very off key.

“Really, Maddie?  Really.  Moulin Rouge again?”

She laughed.  “You know I love it.  Hey, where were you in class today?”

I shook my head, rolling my eyes.  I told her about the Great Trash Incident of 2014.  She laughed.  “I’m sorry.”

“You bought those shitty trash bags?”  I was still bitter.

“No, I didn’t.  But, it really sounds like you should be thanking whoever it was.  Because you ran into Detective Hottie!”

I blushed.  “Whatever.”

“Aleah, he is seriously gorgeous.  I said it before and I’ll say it again.  You would have beautiful babies together.”

I rolled my eyes.  “Okay, Maddie.  We’ve had this conversation before.”

“Yeah, yeah.  You’re seeing Chase, blah blah.  But not exclusively.”

“Well, you’ll be happy to hear then, that Aaron owes me a beer.”

She fist pumped.  Literally, she fist pumped hearing that.

“Why do you hate Chase?”

She looked at me, bewildered.  “I don’t.  Trust me.  My opinion is based purely on looks.  I mean, Chase is really good looking.  But Detective Hottie is just... sexy.  You’re lucky that Gavin and I are back together!”

I widened my eyes.  “You are!  That’s so great!  Oh Maddie, I’m so happy for you!”

I smiled.  “I am, too.  I’m glad he forgave me for freaking out.  He’s been much more attentive.”

I slyly looked at her hand to see if the ring was on her finger, and it wasn’t.  I decided to not mention having spoken with Gavin.  “He better be or else I’m going to have to kick his butt.”

She shook her head.  I leaned over against her, deciding to suffer through Moulin Rouge, since I hadn’t seen Maddie in weeks, it seemed.  I mentioned to her that Chase and I were going out with Sarah and Matt Friday for Halloween, but that we needed to plan a night in sometime soon with Elena and Sarah so we could all get caught up and have some much needed girl time.  She agreed.

I got into bed by 9:30 p.m., which was the earliest I had gone to bed since I was in high school, probably.  But while there, I tossed and turned, feeling torn about my feelings.  I felt so content with Chase.  But there was something so electrifying about Aaron.  I knew people dated multiple people all the time.  But I hadn't.  I mean, I know going for a drink with Aaron was just possibly a onetime thing, it didn’t mean we were getting married, but I felt guilty doing that and not telling Chase.  But I also felt giddy about the possibility of seeing Aaron again.

I finally forced myself to start imagining getting a new haircut, to think about anything other than my conundrum.  And eventually, I drifted off.

5 comments:

  1. P. S. I added Aaron to my character list, finally :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am liking this very much!! We need to include Chase and Joe into more of these posts. I barely remembered them, and I'm hoping Aaron makes a move on Aleah. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this post and joe. I have a question. What happened to life by zach?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm soo curious to see where things go with Aaron, even though I like Chase..

    http://sluttyisthenewblack.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. AW I had forgotten about Joe!! Such a nice guy :)

    http://lifebysarahxo.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete