Thursday, December 4, 2014

LbA: I Spy



When I opened my eyes, Aaron was looking at me, inquisitively.  I raised an eyebrow at him, and wrapped my arms around myself, cold.  “What are you doing here?” I questioned.

“Stalking you,” he deadpanned.

I stared at him, blankly, unsure if he was joking or not.  I mean, he had been kind of crossing paths with me a lot.  I mean, Lincoln isn’t huge, but it isn’t tiny, either.

He cracked a smile, then.  “I’m joking, lighten up,” he quipped, playfully punching my shoulder.  “I was running.  That’s all!”

“Oh, right,” I acknowledged, embarrassed.  I quickly noted his sweatiness, again. 

“And you’re locked out.”

“Thank you, Captain Obvious.”  I was frustrated.  Although it wasn’t okay for me to be snippy with him for this situation.

“He-ey,” he soothingly called, “can I help?”

I sighed.  “No, sorry.  I mean, thank you for offering.  I’ll probably just buzz up and down the list until hopefully someone lets me in.”

“I can wait for you,” he offered, “so you aren’t out here alone.”  He looked around, casually, though perceptively, and rested his hands on his hips, I figured normally where he gun was holstered.  I wonder if he felt naked without it.

I half grinned at him.  “I think I’ll be okay right in front of a common area in broad daylight...”

“I know.” He smiled at me, but it didn’t reach his eyes.  “I think I’ll wait anyway.  I need a breather.”  And the look he was giving me, told me not to challenge him.

I shrugged.  “If you want.  But you’ll probably get cold.”

“Nah,” he countered, sitting down on the step in front of the door.

I started at the top and buzzed down each room number, praying for an answer, or at least a “who’s this” from the intercom.  But no such luck.  I took the two steps over and plopped down next to Aaron and rested my face in my hands, my elbows on my knees.

“Let’s play a game.”

I looked over at him, intrigued.  “What kind of game?”

“We’re going to play ‘I spy’ and you have 10 guesses to get it right.”

“We’re outdoors!  I could ask you 200 questions and still not get it right!”

“Humor me,” he sweetly said.

“And if I don’t get it?”

“You have to let me buy you a beer.”

“And if I win?”

“You get to let me buy you a beer,” he smiled mischievously at me.

I laughed.  “We’ll see.”

He started, “I spy with my little eye, something brown.”

I looked around at the wide open space with multiple cars, buildings, and wildlife (aka squirrels).  “Is it a tree trunk?”

“Which one?”

“Seriously?”

He grinned, “No.  It’s not.”

I frowned, concentrating, looking at all the brown options.  I made eight more of what I thought to be quality guesses, but they were wrong.  As I was contemplating my last one, the wind started blowing, loosening a strand of my hair and blowing it across my face.  I pulled it away from me, and looked at it.  “Is it my hair?”

“Ding, ding, ding!  We have a winner!  It looks like I’m now stuck with the burden of having to buy you a beer!”

I rolled my eyes at him, but laughed at (or with) him.  “Well, it’s your lucky day, I suppose.”

I slyly looked over at him, and saw him studying me.  The wind blew again, wrapping that same annoying strand around my face.  He reached over and grasped it, taking it and combing it with his fingers behind my ear.  I froze, his touch sending goosebumps down my arms.  He paused with his fingers still entwined in my hair right behind my ear, his face now serious but tender. 

And although the moment lasted mere seconds, it felt like hours. 

And that is how we were sitting when I heard the door to the building pop open.  I jerked away, as if being caught red-handed doing something naughty, and he slowly recoiled his hand. 

I turned to see Victoria standing there with an amused expression on her face.  Of course it had to be her.  “One guy not enough for you?  You bring multiple guys home within weeks?  Trashy.”  She said it with all the poison she could muster in her voice, but there was something else in her eyes.  Words meant to hurt and/or embarrass me.  But her look...  Pity?  Jealousy?  Hate? I couldn’t quite tell.

I clenched my jaw shut, but wanted to reach out and slap her.  I could feel the heat rising up my neck to my face.

Aaron quickly stood up, reaching out his hand to her.  Seriously?  What is wrong with him?  He smiled a sickly sweet smile.  “Hi, I’m Aaron, and you are?”

Her eyes darted between Aaron and me, her expression changing to uneasiness.  “Um, Victoria.”  She hesitantly stuck her hand out and grasped his.

Apparently limply, because Aaron exclaimed, “Girl, you need to work on that handshake!  It’s like grabbing a dead fish!”

Her eyes widened, clear mortification clouding her face.  “Oh.. uh, okaaayy.” 

“And I’m not sure what you were trying to say to my friend, Aleah, here, but she’s quite the opposite of trashy.  Not a slut, as you seemed to be implying, and not ‘bringing me home,’ as you were trying to infer.”

He was quite a bit taller than me, and towered over Victoria, who was looking up at him like a puppy being scolded.  I was shocked that he was defending me.  I was watching the exchange, and it seemed as if they didn’t even know I was there anymore.  Victoria wasn’t saying anything, and I saw her finally break Aaron’s gaze and looked past him.  I turned my head and saw Luke striding up towards us.  Victoria let go of the still open door and flitted between us, towards Luke.  Aaron reached out and grabbed the door before it closed. 

Victoria was animatedly talking to Luke, who was looking at Aaron and me.  They started walking out to the parking lot, and Aaron lightly grabbed my elbow.  “Hey,” he said gently.  “Are you okay?”

I snapped out of the trance I seemed to have been in and faced him.  “Yeah, sorry.”

“That’s them?  Who you talked to Brad about?”

“Oh, yeah.”

He pulled out his cell phone from his pants pocket.  “What’s your number?  I’m going to text you so you have my cell.  If you need anything, please let me know.  Plus, I’m going to need your number anyway, for that beer I now owe you,” he added, trying to lighten the mood.

I smiled appreciatively at him.  “Thanks.”  And I told him my number.

“For nothing,” he said as he slid his phone back into his pocket and took off jogging again.

22 comments:

  1. *WARNING* Long and drawn-out, but from the heart *WARNING*

    Hey guys,

    I want to apologize for what could be perceived as snippy/defensive responses to some comments recently. As I'm sure a lot of you have been seeing on other blogs, people like to comment kind of rudely under an anonymous name. I've been very very careful to be respectful in my responses in the past. But recently they've been getting a little tiresome.

    It doesn't matter if I I do a favor by posting 4 days in a row or I say I'm going to post and don't. People are really good at focusing on the negative only. Typically, (aside from really recently) I have tried very hard to post when I say I'm going to, and if for some reason I'm unable to, I always try to let you know. As a courtesy to you guys. Not because I owe anyone anything. But because I appreciate my patient, loyal readers.

    I think I can speak on behalf of all of us "unpaid bloggers" when I say that life happens and unexpected things can occur. Some are more consistent than others, and maybe that's due to being better planners and/or having a reserve already written in advance. But some of us don't. So when life happens and people are dealing with things such as deaths, divorces, relationship problems, medical emergencies, etc., we don't need to be receiving crappy comments sent to our emails, or just emails to our blogging accounts, about how we suck at following through, or our writing is terrible, or how you hate our blogs. There really is a difference between constructive criticism and just plain criticism. We are ALL sorry for when we fall short. I guess that's the one thing we have in common with all of you, too. We are all imperfect and are going to let one or most people down at some point.

    For me personally, let me briefly explain what's been going on recently. In the world of CPS (Child Protective Services), usually you have an "average" amount of investigations you receive in any given week, month, whatever the timeframe is for that particular state. Well, turns out I'm at more than double that amount due to high turnover rates, and people who like to be vengeful and turn in false reports about their cousin's friend's uncle's co-worker who said something to hurt their feelings. So I'm working a lot of overtime right now at a job that is 45 minutes away from where I live. Oh, and since I'm still living by myself with my child who is a toddler, she requires just as much of my energy and time as I can give. Which I will give her all I have and more. But at the end of the day, I'm tired. And I'm kind of working a part-time job from home. But I love writing this. And I want to share it with you all. And when I was posting randomly before, I was getting complaints constantly, so I'm trying a schedule. Or a semblance of one, anyway (Mondays and sometimes Fridays).

    Soooo..... I understand that none of you know me (maybe, who really knows, right?) and don't care about my personal life/plight. But just know that when I say I'm going to post, it really is my intention to do so. But sometimes, life just gets in the way. And this really isn't my first priority. As it shouldn't be. Hopefully, in time, once my SO is living here and work slows down, as well, I can devote a little more time to being consistent.

    I'm sorry this was so long! And thank you to those who understand, support me, and still read! You all are the best :)

    ~A

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And also... I forgot to add a huge THANK YOU to those of you who read this and enjoy. I love reading theories and insights into what I'm writing. I love hearing when a certain post or description makes you feel something. I love the helpful criticisms. I love the compliments. All of this is what gives me motivation when I'm tired to try and be better and to write and post. I do write as a release for me... but if it was solely for me I would've stopped posting awhile ago due to time and energy. So thank you to my readers.

      Delete
    2. Maybe it’s just me. It doesn't bother me in the slightest that you make commitments and then don't follow through because heaven forbid your job or your child keep you from it. It's not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things.

      I keep checking and at some point there will be a post. Other than that, this isn't my life. I have better things to do as well than sit on the internet and bitch people out because you aren’t posting when I want or what I want. Trashing someone because they are doing something fun in their spare time, is just unacceptable. Get over yourself. Hell, a lot of the time, I'm catching up on posts because my life is hectic too and I can't read because at the end of the day, I just want to go to sleep after work, his homework, dinner, bath, bed, cleaning, dishes, laundry, etc. It's the negative people that ruin it for the rest of us who don't care when you post, only that you post when you can because it's FOR FUN. Do these people not realize that they are owed absolutely nothing?! God, I wish they'd stop their self-entitled BS! You don’t like it, don’t read it. It’s no sweat off anyone’s back. The ones that do like it will still read it and we won't miss the nasty people when they don't come back.

      Maybe you should think about closing the anonymous comments as well. The people who really need to post will put their name to their comment.

      Delete
    3. Thanks Kbear. I really appreciate your support!

      I admit that it can be frustrating getting unhappy comments. I have considered not allowing anonymous comments, but I'm not quite to that point, yet. I will admit that I've seen worse comments on other blogger's pages, and have been quite lucky to receive more good than bad. Which I'm super appreciative of. So for now, they'll remain open, but it's not outside the realm of possibly in the future. I like for everyone to have the opportunity to comment, for now.

      Delete
  2. I'll admit I was a little confused about why Zach and Aleah seem so disconnected lately. I am hoping that the conversation she had with her mom and his mom foreshadowed some time of communication between them in the near future. Although I am happy that Aleah seems pretty content right now. Hopefully whatever this crazy plan Luke and Victoria are brewing to mess with Aleah isn't crazy, but she has Mr. Officer now to back her up anyway :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about that confusion! I did want to address that at least in a small capacity, because I had read a previous comment kind of not understanding why they weren't talking at all. I think there will be some communication between them coming up, but I'm not going to give anymore spoilers of what about or why :)

      Mr. Officer is kind of a nice back up to have!!

      Delete
  3. I am really hoping (although I loved Aleah and Zack together) that Aleah starts to see Aaron! Honestly, I think he seems like a pretty great character and someone who is very different from the other men we have seen Aleah with. Also I think he can provide her with the protection she is going to need when what ever Luke and Victoria are concocting comes to light!
    I think ending the blog with Zack and Aleah would be the perfect way to end things! It would be awesome to see their crazy lives until they can be together again. But I think they both, Aleah especially, need to grow and find their selves separately for a while. Rather then getting back together as I believe their parents were trying to hint at in the previous post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We shall see about that! Aaron is a fun character. Writing about him takes me back to memories of the person he is representing in my real life. I will say that I won't be writing him out of the story (at least) for awhile. But in what way they maintain a relationship, time will tell!

      And in regards to the ending.. I can't spoil that.. although (in the long far away future) I know how this will end. Unless something major happens and I change my mind! And I agree. I think they both need to do that, too.

      Delete
  4. I like Aaron's personality so far. He seems easygoing and funny and it doesn't seem forced. Where has Chase been hiding? :)

    http://jocelynseverydayjourneys.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He does have a good personality. He's a little more confident and outspoken than what Aleah has experienced in the past. Chase is around :) He'll be making his next debut when Halloween is covered. (I'm so behind in my timeline, eek!)

      Delete
  5. I love Aaron already. What a cool guy.

    http://sluttyisthenewblack.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I honestly can't keep who posts on what days so I open my blogger everyday and if there is a post I read it, if not I move on with my day. I don't understand why people get so bent out of shape about bloggers not posting "on time". Who cares! I love reading and will read your story WHENEVER you post.

    PS: Love Aaron...and its super sexy he is a detective/cop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, beautiful (hope you don't mind if I call you that, ha! I promise it's not a pick up line :))

      And I agree... there is something sexy about a man in uniform and when he has a gun attached to that uniform!

      Delete
    2. Agreed. I don't have any idea what days people post on. This way, I get a nice surprise when I have time to sit down and read. Thanks for making time to continue the blog.

      I can't imagine the toll a job like yours can take. Thank you for being that person who advocates for those who can't!

      Delete
  7. Since I started following the life by Zach blog I'm completely over Zach. I like chase but he seems safe, I'm curious to see where things go with Aaron though!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's a good assessment of Chase. He is safe. But maybe that's what Aleah needs right now? Maybe not.. I guess we'll find out soon enough :)

      Delete
  8. I hate it when I read how bad other people can be and be mean to bloggers. I wish I knew what to tell you to make all that negativity go away. I love aleah and Zach together, but I also enjoy reading about Aaron and Chase so... Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zu, it can be discouraging. But that's alright. I'll put up with a lot. And I value people's thoughts, which is why I allow comments. They can be so uplifting and inspire me to write more often!

      I know.. what a tough problem to have... :) And, no, thank you! For reading and your sweet comments!

      Delete
  9. I hate how negative ppl ruin it for others in every day life. I want to thank you for writing this blog. It is on your own time and I will be here for when ever you have the time. I enjoy your writing and I hope the negative ppl can get a life. P.s. I work for CPS in CA. I love the work you do and it's not easy work. What we see/hear every day. Thank you again for posting and enjoy the bouncing toddler. They grow up so fast

    ReplyDelete