Saturday, March 8, 2014

Awkward Kiss



Seeing Derek, I stopped so abruptly that Luke ran directly into the back of me, bumping me forward.

“Oh, Aleah, I’m so sorry.  Why’d you stop?”

“Uh…”

Awkward.

Derek was glaring at me.  No surprises there.  Poor Luke.

Luke says, “Hey man, is something wrong?  Can I help you?”

Derek deadpans, “You’re walking in with my girlfriend, so yeah, something is wrong.”

Luke looks down at me.  His look was partially confused, partially hurt. 

I look squarely at Derek and flatly say, “Derek, I am not your girlfriend.  You ruined any chance of that ever happening again when you called me a bitch.  And you shouldn’t have come here.”

I start to walk, to push past and around Derek, as I hear Luke say, “Oh… so you’re Derek.”

“Fuck off.”  Derek snapped.

I started walking up the stairs and I felt a hand grab my arm.  A little too tightly.  “Let go of her arm.”  Luke’s voice was a little louder and deeper now, projecting authority.  The tight lessened, but didn’t let go. 

“I need to talk to you, Aleah,” Derek pleaded.

I stopped, and turned and looked down at both of these men.  Luke stood almost a foot taller than Derek.  I knew if something were to happen, one of them was going to get hurt.  “Please, stop,” I said softly.  I walked back down the couple of steps I had made it up, and strode up to Luke.  “Luke, please go, I’ll be fine.  I will see you tomorrow in class.”  I grabbed his hand and gave it a squeeze.  He bent down and kissed me on my cheek, gave one last wary look at Derek, and walked out.

I closed my eyes briefly, to gather my thoughts.  I took a deep breath and turned to face Derek, for what I expected to be the last time. 

“Please sit down with me,” Derek motioned to the stairs.

“No.”  I shook my head.

“Aleah… babe… I’m so sorry.  I should’ve never called you that name.  I felt like Zach was antagonizing me that night.  I thought you would run right back into his arms.  I want you, I want to be with you.  I can make things better, I can be what you need.  I can change.”

“No.”  I looked at Derek with sadness.  Not because I was sad that he was going to be out of my life, but I felt sorry for him.  I felt sorry that he was groveling, and I didn’t care.  “Derek, this is over.  We are over.  I don’t think we will ever be together again.  I’m sorry you’re hurt.”

He looked at me, at first with desperation, but then with anger.  He stormed past me.  I jumped as he slammed the door shut.  I slowly climbed the stairs up to my floor.  With each step I took, I felt lighter and lighter, until I arrived at the top with a peaceful smile on my face.

Friday morning, I had class with Luke.  I arrived to class early, and chose a seat in the back.  I looked down and starting playing a game on my phone.  I saw someone slide into a seat next to mine.  “Huh, I’m surprised you’re here early.  Early to class, but late to our date?”

I looked sideways to see Luke sitting there, grinning at me.  But then his face turned serious.  “Are you alright?”

I took a deep breath and smiled genuinely at him.  “I am.” 

Throughout class Luke sat with his arm draped behind me and propped on the back of my chair, lightly scratching the top of my back, and playing with the ends of my hair.  It was giving me shivers and goosebumps up and down my arms.

After class, Luke grabbed my bag along with his and asked if I wanted to grab lunch with him.  He walked me to the dining commons and asked me what I wanted.  He told me to go get seats and he would be there shortly with our food.  He handed me the bags and I went and grabbed two seats at a table close to window in the corner.  He walked up and set my tray down in front of me. 

“You know I was going to knock his ass down last night, right?  It is never okay for a guy to put his hands on a female.  But it is especially not okay when it is someone I could be starting to kind of like.”

“Kind of like?”

He smiled at me.  “Eat.”

We sat chatting and eating.  Luke is a funny guy.  He makes jokes a lot, and gets my sense of humor.  He’s good at giving it, but just as good at taking it.  He asked me about my weekend plans, and I told him I was planning on taking it easy.  I told him I had picked up an extra shift at the Racquet Club on Saturday night for a friend, and had a match on Sunday.  He asked me if it would be okay if he came and watched my match, and I told him it was.  I asked him about his weekend plans.  He said he was practicing with the team that day and Saturday before they left for Wisconsin for a game on Sunday.  He said he’s not traveling with the team since he’s not playing, yet.  He said that evening he was going out with some guys from the team, for bonding.  Saturday evening he was planning on staying home and working on homework. 

I said, “Oh, you care about your grades then?”

“Of course.  You know, in case my good looks can’t get me through life.”  He winked at me.  I rolled my eyes.

When we walked out of the dining commons to go our separate ways, he leaned down and kissed me lightly.  “It was great seeing you today.  And I can’t wait to see you play on Sunday.  You better get a win for me!”

“Bye, Luke,” I smiled back at him.

9 comments:

  1. Awhh! I love this post. Luke seems like a great guy! I really like your blog, keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Luke does seem like a great guy... we'll have to see how he really is in the long term :)

      Delete
  2. I really like Luke so far... Can't wait to see where it goes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Luke does come across as a really good guy! I agree.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww, I like Luke a lot so far. I think he and Aleah are cute together. I'm so glad she officially broke up with Derek, she can do so much better!!! I love your blog and can't wait to read more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Me, too, regarding Derek. I've been enjoying yours a lot, too :)

      Delete
  5. Ugh, Derek reminds me so much of my ex... i sympathize for him but well it was a toxic relationship. YAY Luke, someone a little more stable is what Aleah needs and to keep her on her toes lol..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree, Derek was VERY toxic. Luke does seem stable for now. Maybe it'll last :)

      Delete