Saturday, March 15, 2014

Scavenger Hunt



After seeing the text from Zach, a huge smile broke across my face.  I couldn’t even contain my excitement and wanted to call him immediately.  But then, I didn’t want to appear too excited, did I?  I decided to text him, instead.

Zach!  So good to hear (see) from you.  It’s getting late, could I call tomorrow, after practice?  And I miss you, too.

He responded immediately:  Of course, please do.  Talk to you then!

When I went to bed that night (forgetting to call Luke), all I could think was, “He misses me!”

On Thursday, I could hardly wait to call Zach, but wanted to call when I wouldn’t have any interruptions, which is why I had said I would call after practice.  When I got to my car, I saw a single red rose on my windshield, the stem tucked under a wiper.  I smiled.  “Luke.”  I whispered.  I thought how sweet that was of him, then felt slightly guilty because I hadn’t remembered to call him the previous night, and hadn’t seen him at all during the day, either.  Before I called Zach, I texted Luke a simple Thanks!  You’re too sweet!

When I called Zach and heard his smooth voice answer, I instantly relaxed and melted backwards into my pillow, where I still had his t-shirt.  “Hello?”

“Zach.  Hey.  It is so good to hear your voice.”

He chuckled.  “I’ve missed you, too.”

“How are you?”

“I’m good.  Just keeping busy with studying.  You know how it goes… Just kidding, no you don’t.”  I could hear the smile in his voice.

“Jerk.” I was smiling back.

“I don’t want to keep you long, but have a surprise for you.”

“For me?”

“Yes for you!  Check your email?”

“Hold on, I hafta go get my laptop.”  I got up and sprinted to the living room, unplugged my laptop and raced back to my bed.  I signed into my email, as I was doing so I heard my phone beep with an incoming text.  I checked it really quickly.  It was from Luke.  He said: For what?  I frowned.  Who else would’ve dropped a flower on my car?  I snapped my attention back to my email.  I saw I had an email from Zach, that he sent while I was in practice.

“Did you read it yet?”

“No, impatient.”

“Call me back after you do.”

“You can’t wait for…”  He had hung up.  Weird.

I opened the email.  It simply said: Look under Sarah’s pillow.  I turned my head slowly to look at Sarah’s bed.  WTF.  I got up and went to Sarah’s bed.  I lifted up her pillow and saw an envelope.  I opened it and there was a typed note that said:  Look inside the front cover of your “Personality Theories” textbook.  I laughed, confused.  I had to dig around to find my textbook, and opened it to another note that said:  Go to Elena.  I had to stop and think where she was.  I think she was at work, at the coffee shop.  I immediately hopped in my car and drove to the coffee shop.  I ran inside and saw it was slow.  Elena was behind the counter.  When she saw me walk in, she called out to me, “Want your usual?”  She knows me so well. 

“Yes, please!”  She disappeared into the back to make my chai tea latte with whipped cream.  I was waiting impatiently for her, ready to pounce as soon as she walked back in.  I turned my back to look outside, happily sighing thinking about the weather starting to shift and slowly warm up.  When I turned to face the counter again, Elena was standing there with my chai in a mug on the counter, sitting next to a vase with a bunch of red roses in it.  I grinned, cheesily, and immediately a tear slipped down my face.  Elena picked up the mug and handed me the drink and an envelope that was stamped and addressed to Sarah.  I went and sat in a chair and opened the envelope to find a card.  The outside was some sweet picture of a little girl dress in oversized rain gear handing a dandelion to a little boy in oversized rain gear holding a huge umbrella over them.  When I opened it, something folded up fell into my hand.  I set it on the table, aside, so I could read what was written.  The inside was blank, except for what Zach had handwritten:

My Aleah,

Aren’t you impressed?  All those romance lessons my mom gave me paid off, huh!  You can also thank your roommates for playing along, too.  They obviously set everything up for me, since I couldn’t be there. 

I looked up your spring break schedule, and you’re on the same week as me.  I also looked up your tennis schedule, and saw you have matches that Sunday and Friday.  Will you please join me, Sunday evening through Thursday, in New York City?

I already cleared it with your coach, as well.  Enclosed, you’ll find your plane ticket.

Love always,

Zach

I wanted to spring out of my seat and jump up and down.  I could hardly contain my excitement and joy.  Not only to see Zach, but to go to NYC!  I had never been.  I popped up and grabbed the card and ran over to the counter where Elena was standing, smiling.  “Are you going to go?”

“Is that even a valid question?”

She hugged me over the counter.  I leaned over to smell the roses, closing my eyes.  I opened my eyes, and then narrowed them, thoughtfully.  I counted the roses.  11.  “’Lena?”

“Yes?”

“Did one of you put a rose on my car while I was at practice?”

“Yeah, Maddie did.  That was her role in this.  I guess that day she and Sarah showed up at the apartment and you were getting ready for his parents’ party, he told them all about this.  He was emailing with Sarah to set this up.  He had the flowers delivered here so you wouldn’t find them, and sent Sarah the card so you wouldn’t get it.”

“That man.”  That’s all I could muster speaking.  I grabbed the vase and went back over to my chai and sat down.  I called Zach.  He answered after the second ring.

“Aleah?”

“Zachary.  You are too much.  I can’t even believe you thought to do all this, let alone actually put it into action!  Are your parents okay with spending the money on these plane tickets?  And oh my gosh, thank you, thank you, thank you.  You are seriously the best.  The absolute best.  And I can’t freaking wait to see you!  Oh my gosh!  And did I tell you that you’re the best?”

He laughed.  “I knew that I wanted to do this, and to see you.  My dad had a bunch of frequent flier miles he needed to use, or he was going to lose them.  I’ll be flying in Saturday to Lincoln, and then watch you play, and we’ll have to leave for the airport shortly after that, so make sure you’re packed.”

“I will.”

“Are you sure you want to go?”

“Zachary Andrews!  Don’t be ridiculous.  Of course I want to go with you!”

We chatted a little longer about plans and what we’ve been up to, and we got off the phone.  I sighed contentedly and started daydreaming, when I heard the bell on the door of the coffee shop.  I looked up to see Luke walk in.

12 comments:

  1. Aw what a sweet post. And uh oh, that'll be awkward with Luke. Can't wait til the next post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) Yeah, it would definitely be awkward running into a guy you're dating holding flowers he didn't get you.

      Delete
  2. Awe I knew there was a reason I liked Zach so much.... I can't wait to see how this trip goes!! That was the sweetest ever!!! It will be awkward with Luke but hopefully she will know what to do I can't wait until next post!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zach definitely is a keeper.. if only she actually had him! :)

      Delete
  3. Awww, I really like Zach. He is so sweet and I absolutely loved the scavenger hunt idea. I bet Zach and Aleah are going to have a blast in NYC, can't wait to read more about that:) It totally will be weird with Luke but I can't wait to see how Aleah handles that!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Arianna! I think they're going to have an amazing time in NYC, too! I can't wait to write about their adventures. I think she'll have fun and maybe meet some new friends! We shall see :)

      Delete
  4. Ahhhh I loved this post. Too cheesy and cute! �� who doesn't want their guy to do something like this? Lol can't wait to see the next post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I always liked cheesy. It didn't matter to me, in my opinion it always showed that a guy cared!!

      Delete
  5. Chris - @nylonlover69 on TwitterMarch 17, 2014 at 10:32 AM

    Oh, man.... Luke or Zach... close by or long distance... decisions decisions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many! Maybe it'll be easy.. or maybe it'll be difficult. We shall see!

      Delete
  6. I love this post!!! Zach is the sweetest & I'm so happy for Aleah. I'm just curious how she will explain the flowers & forgetting to call to Luke.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! He is really a good guy. There'll be good and bad for Aleah coming up, but I think it'll be fun to read about Aleah as she grows!

      Delete