Sunday, July 13, 2014

Deal

Sunday early afternoon I met with Detective Stratton.  We talked a bit about my dad and family before jumping head first into the details of what was going on.  He again reminded me that they wouldn't be filing charges, but it would hopefully either scare the guys enough after being interviewed that they wouldn't do anything like that again, or it would be written documentation for any future cases involving them.  I again told him everything that happened from the night I couldn't remember, and then when I found the pills in their room.  He told me they would be following up with the guys this week.  I told Detective Stratton that exams were over and I didn't know when Luke was heading back to Kansas.  He told me not to worry about anything.  He also said if either of them contacted me and threatened me or anything, to let him know.  I said I would.  Every step I took towards the door of the police station to leave, I felt lighter and lighter.  I knew that this was the right thing to do.

I pushed through the door and started digging around in my purse looking for my phone.  I ran head first into someone, and looked up straight into Detective Unknown's amused face.  He looked me up and down, and I suddenly felt out of place in my Banana dress and white open toed pumps.  "Aleah, right?"

"Uh, yeah, hi.  You remembered,"  I awkwardly stuttered back at him.  I gave him a quick look over, and my eyes rested for a moment on the gun strapped on his waist.  His fitted light blue polo not only highlighted his blue eyes, but hugged his clearly toned and muscular body.  I blushed, as I met his eyes, and he had the amused expression on his face again, watching me look at him.

"How could I forget Brad's favorite non-niece."

"Right."  I uncomfortably shifted my weight from one leg to the other.  "I'm sure you're busy, I should let you get in there..."  I started walking away.  I realized I was so awkward around attractive guys, and shook my head at myself.

"Aleah?"  He said it as a question but I knew it was a statement.

I halted in my steps and turned my head to look at him.  "I'm Aaron."  He gave me a smile that showed off his blindingly white teeth compared to his tan skin and walked into the building.

I watched him walk away.  Something felt confusing about him, but I couldn't pinpoint what it was.

Back at my apartment I started packing, to get ready for my trip to Minnesota.  Sarah was packing, too.  She was heading to Lawrence, Kansas the next day to help teach at a track and field camp during the month of June plus a couple of weeks.  She would be back shortly before Elena's wedding.  She was heading down so early to help plan and set up and bond with the other workers.

After Sarah came back from Kansas, she would be staying in the apartment with me for the rest of the summer.  It felt empty already, though, because all of Elena's things were moved out.  Most of Maddie's things were, but since she was of course moving back in August, she had left her main things there.  Maddie was moving home to her parents' house for the summer.  Elena's parents had put a down payment on a house as a wedding gift for Elena and Jeff, and so she had been moving out the past week and into the new house.  Jeff wouldn't move in until they were married, though.  I still had to go check out their new place.  It was so weird to me that they were going to be married in just a couple of months.  But I was ecstatic for them.

After we finished packing, I tackled Sarah on to her bed and told her how much I was going to miss her.  Although we had seen each other in passing over the past week, and at graduation the day before, I hadn't really gotten to speak with her.  We laid in her bed and I told her about seeing Zach, breaking up with Luke, and filing the police report earlier in the day.  She was extremely happy about all three things. 

"You know that someday you and Zach are going to get hitched."

I nudged her, but a smile crept onto my face.  "Don't say that.  You're getting my long-term hopes up."

"I'm just saying."

"Well, I'm not trying to think about that.  In fact, I'm trying to push Zach out of my mind for now.  I'm just going to have fun for now.  I think I'm just going to choose to be single."

"When was the last time you were single?"  Sarah shot a side-eye at me.

"Right now.  Duh."

Sarah huffed, "You know what I mean."

"Okay, I see your point."

"You should set a minimum date to be single."

"That's lame."

"Seriously, Aleah.  You jump into things to forget about Zach.  Derek?  Luke?"

"Fine.  When school starts back up in August?"

"At least."

"Well, I think that's fair for now.  I mean, what if my soul mate enters my life tomorrow?  That is over 3 months of just getting to know each other as friends.  I think I can at least go on a date at that point."

"Oh, so Zach is coming back tomorrow?"  She stuck her tongue out at me.  "And fine.  But I'm holding you accountable.  No relationships, no dates."

"Deal."  We linked pinkies and kiss our hands, sealing the deal.  "But what is your end of the deal?"

"Um, I've been single this whole school year.  It should be that any fine, eligible men you meet, you send my way and I'll date enough for the both of us!"

I laughed.  "Deal."

We spent the rest of the evening watching movies and eating Chinese take-out. 

Monday I spent driving to Rochester.  It was peaceful and calming.  I was nervous, though.  My palms were sweaty.  I didn't know what to expect.

I pulled up to the extended stay hotel, and went in search of my dad's room.  When I knocked on the door, he opened it wide.  His eyes were sparkling, but there were bags under his eyes, and he had shaved his head.

My eyes widened, but I quickly recovered, and put on my biggest smile.  He held out his arms and I rushed into them, embracing him tightly.  "Dad, it is so good to see you."

"I made us reservations at Prescott's.  I got a recommendation for the alleged best restaurant here.  So I figured we could try it out."  He smiled at me warmly. 

I dropped my duffel bag off at the door and changed clothing quickly.  I quickly looked around the hotel.  It was nice with 2 bedrooms, and living space, kitchenette and dining area.  It was quaint and modest.  Although my parents are wealthy, they tend to "live small" and "eat big."  I smiled thinking about my family.

I was happy that I could come and be here with my dad, and have 1 on 1 time with him.  I didn't want to burden my dad with telling him about the police report, but I did over dinner.

"Oh, baby girl, you should have told me sooner.  You know I would've done anything to help you with that."  He looked at me concerned.

"I know, daddy, but I'm trying to grow up and make better choices."

My hands were clasped on the table, and he reached over and put his hand over mine.  "I'm proud of you, Aleah.  And I'm so glad you went to Brad.  He's a good friend to our family."

After my confession, dinner was lighthearted, and we talked about my summer, and my dad's plans.  I loved that he spoke as if nothing was wrong.  He told me he was even working from here, as much as he could.  Although he wasn't doing any surgeries right now, he could still work on teaching material for the fall, and was doing research on up and coming new surgical technologies and such.  This was a conversation that Zach would've enjoyed much more than me, I thought wistfully, but was very happy to be having it with my dad and tried to follow the best I could when he went into his medical terminology-laden "speech."

After dinner we headed back to the hotel and went to bed.  Dad had treatment early in the morning, and I was going with him, so we both wanted to be as rested as possible.

2 comments:

  1. I can't see Aleah being single that long, I think Zach is going to show up over the summer and she'll be breaking this deal lol..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad that Aleah is going to try and be single. I find that girls that hop from one guy to the next have a harder time being independent. Even though I do love Zac. I hope they end up together.

    ReplyDelete