Sunday, July 27, 2014

Froyo

The past three weeks flew by.  With the start of my summer class and working at the Racquet Club, plus two of those weekends traveling out of town with Cara for tennis tournaments, I didn't have much time to breath, let alone think about Luke, Victoria, or anything else going on.  My dad only had two weeks of treatments left in Minnesota, and then he would be coming home for rest and I knew he was hoping to go back to work. 

After receiving the Facebook message from Victoria, I had spoken with Detective Stratton the next day.  He put the information into their system, as an evidence trail and asked if I wanted a protective order.  I had declined, because at this point Victoria, nor Luke, had done anything physically to me or even confronted me face-to-face.  I told him that if something more happened, I would consider it, and let him know.  He said he would tell me exactly what I needed to do, although he couldn't do it for me.

I had read and re-read the message from Victoria numerous times.  Every time I experience a different emotion ranging from embarrassment to sympathy and hurt to rage.  Falon had ideas on how to inform Victoria of the truth, but Detective Stratton had advised me not to.  So when I had told Falon that, I kept a calm demeanor and told her I agreed with him, but everything inside of me screamed Let's get that bitch!  Falon told me if I changed my mind, to of course let her know.  I really wanted to send her the "selfie" that Luke and I had taken that had been the background of my phone throughout our relationship.  He had his left hand on my left cheek and was smile-kissing my other.  My eyes were closed and I was grinning happily.  Clearly it was all a facade.

I also had received a few menacing texts from Luke, but they were sparse.  I hadn't responded to him, either.  I decided that it wasn't in my best interest.

I had grown accustomed to my empty apartment, and valued the silence when I was doing homework.  Since it was Saturday, I didn't have class, and I didn't have to work.  I had purposely not made plans with anyone so I could take a breather.  It was the first weekend I hadn't traveled with Cara.  I decided a shopping trip was in order.

With my schedule being hectic and constant, I had lived most of the past three weeks in sweats and tank tops or shorts and t shirts.  I decided to take time and actually put myself together.  It was finally consistently warm.  About time, I thought, since it was June 7th.  I wore white lace shorts and a gray tank.  I finished the look with Jimmy Choo white/cork wedge sandals.  I straightened my hair and took time to do my makeup.  When I was finished, I smiled at myself, because it was the first time I felt put together in weeks.

I did mostly window shopping.  I did buy some cheap flip flops and more shorts and a bodycon dress.  Afterwards, I stopped by a frozen yogurt shop.  While grabbing my little cup of deliciousness, I heard the ding of the bell signaling the arrival of someone else inside.  I started to walk out when I heard my name being called.  I turned to see Charlie standing there.  Luke and Nate's housemate.  I groaned inwardly and felt my body tense up.

"Oh, hi Charlie."

"Geez, don't look so thrilled to see me!" He smiled and tapped my shoulder.

"Sorry," I smiled sheepishly. 

His expression immediately turned serious then.  "Hey, look, I heard about... you know, everything.  Nate and Luke are both pretty pissed.  But honestly?"  He looked around hesitantly, running his hand over his head.  "I'm not surprised," he whispered.  "Don't get me wrong, I like them both and they're great ballers, but they're both shady as hell about some things.  I don't know if they drugged you, or anyone else, or not.  I know they've taken things.  And I know that Nate has dealt some stuff, but it was never really harming anyone, you know?  Stuff like aderall.  That type of stuff.  And I figured being around Luke, you knew.  I'm sorry."  He looked down at his shoes and genuinely looked apologetic.

"Charlie, it's okay.  You weren't involved.  I wish you would've told me, but I know you're their friend.  But why are you telling me this?"  I honestly expected backlash from their friends.

He looked at me sadly, but intensely.  "Because you seem like a sincere person.  If you went to the police to make a report that you found drugs in their room, and you think you were drugged, I believe you.  I don't want to be associated with shit like that."

I looked at him surprised.  Based on his joking nature, and his friendships with Luke and Nate, and also the few interactions I'd had with Charlie, I assumed he was just like them, and fit the stereotype that high level college athletes on the major teams had.  I was pleasantly surprised.

"Thanks, Charlie."  I smiled happily at him, but asked, "So did Luke or Nate tell you all this?"

He sighed.  "Yes and no.  They told me a watered down version of that and having to talk to the police, but then I was interviewed by a detective.  The rest of the guys in the house were, too.  Anyway," his demeanor changed then, and he seemed ready to end this conversation  as his eyes diverted away from me, "Luke and Nate were kicked out of our house by us.  There could be repercussions on the team or through the school, but we won't know yet until the police finish their investigation."

I raised my eyebrows in shock.  I thought I was just filing a report, I didn't think this would be a full investigation.  "Oh," was all I managed.

He smiled, seemingly having moved past our just ended conversation.  "It was really good seeing you, Aleah.  If you need anything, let me know!"  He leaned in and gave me a hug then, and whispered in my ear, "And seriously, if Luke or Nate come near you, let me know."

He pulled away, I thanked him and walked out.

12 comments:

  1. Worth the wait. That was awesome...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris - @nylonlover69 on TwitterJuly 28, 2014 at 9:19 AM

    Wow. Way to be a stand up guy, Charlie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Charlie--either good guy giving her a warning, or covering his own ass. I can't decide which....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely could go either way. Or maybe a "bad guy" in recovery?

      Delete
  4. I think Charlie could be playing her. Telling her what she wants to hear and trying to get the inside scoop to go back and tell Nate and Luke. I'd like to think he's a stand up guy but I'm not sold on him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, time will tell about Charlie. I do hope he's a good guy, though.

      Delete
  5. I think maybe Charlie honestly didn't have anything to do with it.. Well that's what I am hoping for!! Maybe Charlie and Aleah can go out on a date!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping for that, too!!

      I wouldn't hold out hope for them to go on a date. Aleah's on a dating sabbatical right now :)

      Delete