Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Texting Overload

It was really tough being with my dad, but it also was healing.  It was healing in the medical sense, of course, but it also was healing for me.  I got to see his strength and hope, but I also saw his exhaustion and weakness.  I'd always put my dad on a pedestal.  And he definitely didn't come down off of it, but I saw his humanity.  The bags under his eyes, the multiple naps he took, his hair in the bottom of the shower after he was done in there:  humanity. 

I didn't cry until I was in my car driving home.  Only because I was going to miss him, not because I was scared.  I got home late Thursday night.  I walked into the apartment and my exhaustion and loneliness kicked in.  I looked around at the dark apartment, sad that my roommates were gone.  At least I know Sarah would be back in July.  I flipped on a light in the living room, and decided to leave it on, because I didn't realize how quiet it could actually be in there.  Even on the weekends when my roommates had been gone, there were still other apartments full of people surrounding me, and so there was always noise and activity.  Now, most people were moved out, and the few that were left were going to be in summer classes and/or working, so probably going to bed at decent times.

I texted both my mom and my dad letting them know I made it home safely.  I knew my mom was leaving Saturday to go up to Rochester and be with my dad for two weeks.  My brother was going to be at home, and my mom asked me to check in and make sure he was feeding the animals and in general watching over the house. He was going to be a freshman in college next year, and he was going out of state.  I wanted to spend some time with him anyway, since I wouldn't see him much starting in the fall. 

I collapsed onto my bed and curled into a ball, deciding tomorrow would be a better day to unpack.  Just as I was dozing off, and starting to have a bizarre dream involving The Purge-like attacks where I was cowering in fear hiding in the basement of some random house, I jumped awake to my phone buzzing.  I realized how tense my body was, from the lifelike terror of the nightmare.  I took a deep breath and looked at my clock, seeing it was only 11:45 p.m.  I clicked the side button of my phone and saw I had a text message.  I wondered who was texting me.

I unlocked my phone's screen and went into my texts and saw it was from Luke.  I closed my eyes, debating whether to read it or ignore it until morning.  I assumed it had to do with he and I and our doomed ex-relationship. 

Still while debating, my phone started vibrating again.  Luke was calling.  I hit ignore, and shut my phone off.  That made the decision for me.  I would check the text in the morning.

I went to sleep quickly after that, and slept dreamlessly. 

In the morning I turned on my phone and then went to shower.  I got out and laid on my bed naked, drying off.  I wasn't soaking wet, I had towel dried.  But sometimes I did that when I was alone, because I hated getting dressed when my skin was damp.  I grabbed my phone and decided to check my texts.

I frowned at my phone.  17 texts?  Good grief.

I opened my text list and saw I had responses from my dad and mom which totaled 3.  I also had 3 tests from Sarah.  I quickly read hers:

TURN YOUR PHONE ON.

Call me.

ALEAH r u alive?  I need 2 talk 2 u.  Call me ASAP!!!!!!!!!

I knew that if it were an emergency, I would also have texts from my mom, Sarah's mom, and probably Maddie and Elena seeking me out, too.  I assumed this was just some good gossip.

I sighed and clicked on Luke's name, the keeper of the other 11 texts.

We need to talk.

Why'd you ignore my call?

Aleah, seriously, this isn't funny.

You shut your phone off?

Well, since you aren't going to answer your phone, answer this.  Why'd you fucking accuse me of drugging you?

WHAT THE HELL ALEAH.  YOU'RE A BITCH.

Are you trying to ruin my life?  I could lose my scholarship.  I was nothing but good to you.  You're a nhore.  A no whore.  No sex.  You couldn't have handled me anyway.

Um, wtf?  I figured at this point he was drinking.

Aleah I'm sorry.  I promise I didn't do anything.  It's okay, really.  We can make this work.  You go undo your police statement and then we can talk and make up and we can be together again.  I'll let this go.  I promise.

AALLLEEEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Wake up.  Call me.

Fuck you.

I contemplated what to do.  I mean, he definitely didn't threaten me.  To my knowledge, Luke was back in Kansas anyway.  But I didn't know where his roommate, Nate was.  I know Nate doesn't have my number.  Maybe the police spoke with Nate and not Luke?

I decided to call Detective Stratton and touch base with him.  No answer.  I left him a message asking him to call me back. 

I decided then to call Sarah.

"ABOUT TIME," she answered almost immediately.

"Sorry, I drove back from Minnesota yesterday, and was so tired, I crashed.  What's up?"

"Hold on."  I heard her walking by talking voices and then a door shut.  "You'll never guess who I saw yesterday," she hissed at me.

"Um, I have no idea.  How would I know that?  Is someone else from here at the camp with you?"

She ignored my questions and instead spat out, "Luke."

4 comments:

  1. Chris - @nylonlover69 on TwitterJuly 16, 2014 at 8:32 AM

    Rut ro, Raggy! (my best Scooby Doo impersonation)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Yeah.. me too. Unfortunately, we haven't seen the last of him :(

      Delete