Monday, September 15, 2014

LbA: Smitten

It was like Code Red in my apartment after the discovery of Victoria residing in our building.  Elena had somehow managed to become really tight with the Dean of students.  When we informed her of Victoria finagling into the building, she agreed to try to find out how.  Because new students, whether freshman or transfers, were always housed in one of a few specific buildings, unless they lived off campus. 

I had agreed to let Chase pick me up from our apartment, because he had insisted.  I swooned, because of how chivalrous he was already acting.  After practice, I rushed home and showered.  Maddie met me there because she had previously offered to do my hair for me.  So there I sat perched on a kitchen chair we had pulled into Maddie and Nellie's (Maddie's new roommate) room in front of their full length mirror, so I could do my make-up at the same time she was spiral curling my hair. 

"So how's Nellie in bed?" I asked, giggling.

I caught Maddie roll her eyes.  "Lame, Aleah.  She snores.  She's nice, though, just strange."

I had rarely been at the apartment because of working at the racquet club, and classes, and practice.  So I really hadn't had the full affect of spending time with Nellie, yet.  "Strange how?  I mean, aside from her choices in clothing."

"Well, she's on this new diet..." Maddie trailed off.

"Diet?" I thought about Nellie, and she was chubby, but I didn't think a diet needed to occur.  I'm sure if she just exercised a little, that excess weight would come right off.

I leaned in closer to the mirror, to focus on my eyeliner, causing Maddie to yank on my hair to pull me backwards.  "You can't get that close, the cord on the curling wand is maxed."  I sighed.

"Soooo... tell me about this diet she's on."

"It's so weird!  She will only eat, if someone offers her food."

I guffawed.  "What!"

"Seriously."

I rolled my eyes and moved on from the Nellie topic.  I finished my make-up (from a distance) and Maddie and I caught up on the past week, since we hadn't seen each other much.  I put together my outfit, and Maddie nodded her head in approval.  She started giving me many compliments, I think because she could tell I was nervous.  I hadn't been this nervous or giddy since... since a date with Zach.  I shook my head slightly, erasing the thought of Zach.  Right then, there was a tentative knock on the door. 

I started to walk towards the door, grabbing my Coach bag, and throwing my keys and cell phone inside.  But Maddie raced to the door and flung it open.  "Oh, hi Chase!" she exclaimed overly excitedly.  I rushed over, before she could embarrass me, because I figured that was what she was about to attempt. 

"Hey," I smiled shyly at him.  "I'm ready."

I saw him try to nonchalantly check me out, unsuccessfully.  He grinned back at me.  "You look gorgeous."

I blushed, and then took all of him in.  He was wearing dark wash jeans, a "bright berry" button down, and a pair of beautiful Salvatore Ferragamo shoes.  "Thank you.  You look equally as nice."  He smiled his thanks and we said goodbye to Maddie.

As we walked outside, I giddily asked, "So where are we going?"

He placed his hand on the small of my back as he opened my car door and said, "I guess you'll find out soon, won't you?"  He smiled mischievously at me.

His car smelled manly.  Like, good manly.  A deep silky cologne smell.  The leather seats were the perfect temperature for the weather.  He had a modest car that was loaded and well taken care of.  It was sexy, just like him.

He slid in and he started driving.  We chatted easily about our days, and the best family vacations we had ever been on, on our way to our destination.  We arrived at a romantic sushi restaurant, and I was ecstatic.  I could tell he was paying attention to our multiple emails and telephone discussions, as I had mentioned in passing that sushi was one of my top favorite foods. 

Dinner went by smoothly.  We split 4 different rolls, so we could have a plethora of them.  Neither of us had been to this specific restaurant, so we wanted a nice sampling.  There were no silences, awkward or not, as we talked and joked throughout the evening.  Neither of us drank alcohol.  I didn't know his reasoning, but I didn't because I wanted to be able to fully concentrate and remember everything he was telling me.  One thing I really don't like is having duplicate conversations with people.  I feel stupid when I repeat myself, and I get annoyed when others keep repeating themselves.

After dinner, I didn't know what to expect.  I wasn't sure if he was taking me home or not.  When he started driving, I saw he was heading back towards my apartment.  I felt disappointed, as I thought we'd had a wonderful time.

But he passed the turnoff to my apartment and kept driving.  As he pulled into the parking lot of our next destination, I beamed.  Mini golf.  I thought back to a conversation we'd had earlier in the week.  He had asked me what one of my guilty pleasure activities were, and I told him miniature golf.  I had probably spoken for a good 8 minutes about how much I love it, how I hadn't been since I was in high school, and how it allowed me to have fun, but still to bring out my competitiveness. 

To me, he had planned the perfect first date.  He asked me about my parents and what they do, and I told him.  I was usually guarded regarding personal issues and my family, but Chase's genuineness made me want to be open.  I didn't go into details, but I briefly told him about my dad having cancer, and how his prognosis was looking good, as of now.  He was very empathetic, and didn't once tell me that he understood.  Which I was pleased about.  I always hated when people told me they understood, when there is no way they could if they'd never been in my shoes.

I then asked him about his greatest fear.

He looked at me, his eyes penetrating mine, as if to find out if I was worth disclosing that kind of information to.  He seemed to relax, as he searched my face.  "Failing."

I cocked my head at him, pausing before swinging my club again.  "In what way?"

"Failing myself and others."  He paused, looking thoughtful, then continued.  "I have very high expectations for myself, in everything that I do.  And I don't ever want to not only let myself down, but especially not anyone else, either.  What about you?"

"Mmm... I think being vulnerable.  To me, that is scary, opening up to someone like that.  When you become most vulnerable, is when you are opening up the most to be hurt."

"Are you usually closed off in relationships?"

"Oh, no.  Maybe at first I'm a little protective of myself, but only for a little.  I also know that the best relationships are the ones where you are most vulnerable.  Those are the deepest, richest relationships."  I looked up at him through my eyelashes, and he was gazing back at me.  The eye contact was intense, but pure.  I quickly looked back down at the ball and tapped it with my club. 

"Hole in one!" I jumped up and down.  Chase strode over to me and gave me a high five.

"Awesome job!"

We had played two 9 hole games.  I won the first one, 30-31; and he won the second, 29-32.  We went to turn in our clubs, and I claimed my free game for the hole in one on the last hole.  I waved the slip of paper in the air at him, excited.  Tentatively I said, "You know, we will need a tie breaker."

He grinned at me, "You aren't okay with a tie?"

I backtracked, "I mean, if you are, that's totally fine, I can always bring Sarah, or Elena, or someone..."

"Oh, no!" He quickly cut me off.  "I didn't mean it like that.  I was just teasing you.  If you were fishing to see if I wanted to see you again, the answer is of course."

I blushed at him calling me out like that, but was also appreciative how upfront he was.  "Well, the feeling is mutual."

He drove me home and walked me up to my apartment.  The awkward moment.  He said, "I had a really great time tonight."

"I did, too."

"I'll call you soon."

"I'd like that a lot."

"Goodnight, Aleah," he said, leaning in and wrapping his arms around me.  He pulled me into a tight hug.  No kiss attempt, and that was okay.  It was the perfect ending to a perfect evening.

I walked into the apartment and shut the door behind me.  I leaned back against it and sighed, smitten.

3 comments:

  1. It reminded me of those first few dates you have with someone new. I love the feeling :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved it bt stil miss z.i loved them together

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the blog. One thing bothered me though, in this post you said Nellie was chubby yet the picture you have to go with her character is not. it bothers me that that picture is your definition of chubby.

    ReplyDelete