Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Life By Zach Something New

Life By Zach
Something New
The light streaming in from the window pierced my eyes like a sword.
“Ugh,” I mumbled, trying to sit up.
My mouth felt dry, my head was exploding, and waves of nausea hit me with full force.
“What happened last night?” I thought to myself. I squinted around, thinking I haven't felt this awful in...well, ever really. And then, I felt a hand on my knee. I looked over at the blond hair spilling onto the pillow next to mine and it all came rushing back.
Ohmygosh. Beth Simpson happened.
After I talked to Ben in the quad yesterday, I walked back to my apartment slowly. I knew deep inside I would end up going to this party, even though the idea of being with someone new was difficult for me to swallow. I know that’s what college is all about. I know I should be living the way Ben is:  without a worry in the world, with a new girl at my side every weekend.
But what holds me back is knowing that I have already found the perfect girl. Yet the doubts that have been nagging at me late at night remind me that Aleah and I are not together, and that this is my time, and that I should not hold back by looking into the future and forgetting what is right in front of me. If I hadn’t opened my eyes to what was in front of me, I may have never seen Aleah as anything other than my neighbor, so I knew I would have to just give into the moment and see where this whole ride would take me.
I finished up the paper I had to turn in on Monday, studied for my Chemistry II test, and finally peeled myself off the couch and took a long, hot shower.
“I can do this,” I thought as I gazed in the mirror, my blue eyes staring back at me with determination. “Get a grip man, you got this.”
I threw on my favorite pair of Diesel jeans and a blue and white plaid button down (seems to be the look the frat boys are going for these days, so I figured, when in Rome...). I usually leave my face a little scruffy; I’ve been told before that I have somewhat of a “baby-face” due to my bright blue eyes and dimples so the hint of a beard makes me feel a lot more manly.  My light brown hair has gotten kind of long, but I usually just run some pomade through it and the waves stay where they are supposed to. Girls are constantly telling me I am some kind of Chace Crawford look-alike, but I’m not sure I want to look like some dude that was on Gossip Girl. Although, Aleah loved Gossip Girl.
 “No thinking about Aleah tonight,” I reminded myself as I headed out.
The party was in full swing by the time I arrived. Ben said to be there at 10 but it was more like 11:30 by the time I got there.
Even though summer was quickly coming to an end, the weather was gorgeous and warm tonight, and the party was in full swing. The party spilled out into the backyard and deck, which was decorated with tiki torches and string lights and there were people everywhere.
I found Ben right away; he was not hard to miss having decided to wear overalls without a shirt underneath and was sloshing around his red solo cup with enthusiasm as he animatedly told a cute little red-head a story.
“Dudeeeeee, you made it!!!!!” he yelled when he saw me. “Rachel this is my boy Zach, Zach meet Rachel. She’s a mermaid!”
“Oh boy.” I thought to myself. “Ben’s hammered already. This is going to get interesting.”
 I said hello to Rachel the mermaid and then made my way to the keg. I usually don't drink with abandon, but tonight I was on a mission. I filled my cup and wandered around the house chatting with people from my classes and enjoying the buzz that was kicking in quickly. After a couple more beers and way too many shots of whiskey with Ben, I was feeling pretty good.
“I really should do this more often. I work so hard to achieve my career dreams, why not let loose a little?” I mumbled to myself as I refilled my beer yet again.
"Talking to yourself?" I heard a voice behind me.
I turned around, knowing who I would see. 

"Hey Beth, you got me.." I smiled at her as I took in her long blond hair, gleaming smile and short, short skirt.

“You look handsome,” she purred.
“Thanks. You look good too. Have you been here long?"
"Long enough. I'm glad you're finally here though. It’s good to finally see you out. You know what they say…all work and no play…”
“Yeah, I know. I’ve been busy. So, what’s been…” Before I could finish my sentence, Beth grabbed my hand and dragged me to the makeshift dance floor, which was more like a tiny square in the living room where couples where grinding against each other in a sloppy attempt to dance.
“OMG it's TayTay, I love this song!!!” Beth squealed as Taylor Swift’s “Shake It Off” blared from the speakers.
Normally I am NOT the kind of guy that dances to Taylor Swift music, but tonight, I just didn’t care. I grabbed Beth by the waist and swung her around as her arms found their way around my neck and she threw her head back with laughter.
“I knew you had it in you, Zach,” she whispered.
“Had what in me?”
“The ability to know see what’s right in front of you.”
Her words shook me out of my drunken euphoria for just a minute when I realized I had been thinking about exactly that just days before. Not missing out on what is right in front of me.
I locked eyes with Beth, her green, smoldering eyes sparkling at me.
Her pink pouty mouth curved into a smile, and for a moment I didn’t feel quite so unable to appreciate what was right in front of me. I didn't stop her when she moved her head closer, and I didn't stop her when her lips found mine.
I mean, why not have some fun? Live a little? What could possibly go wrong??


10 comments:

  1. So this is Zach in the present? I thought this was going to be backstory, but Shake it Off is a current song. mum

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi mum! Thanks for commenting :)) Yes, this is going to be Zach in the present. There will however, be flashbacks to some of his memories and times with Aleah but that will be made clear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, don't let her get pregnant or something. I really want to see Zach and Aleah together...eventually. Love hearing the story from Zach.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just don't get it. If you are in love with someone, why would you even want to be with someone else? A lot of people do long distance. From the great cross over story with their time in New York to this? I just don't see Zach acting like this. It wasn't the way he was presented in the original story. I understand this is a new author, but I thought the characters would keep their original identity as presented.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not as though Aleah is sitting around waiting for Zach. Since their trip to nyc, she's been with Luke and now chase. Is zach suppose to be celibate and wait forever. Neither wanted to do the long distance thing. ZACH is a college guy and can do whatever he please.

      Delete
    2. I'm speaking from speculation, so Sophia can correct me if I'm off base, but I think Zach is going through a college life crisis. He knows his heart belongs to Aleah deep down but since they aren't together he has no idea if Aleah is waiting or moving on. So he thinks, why not have some fun? I always presented him as super driven and responsible, and I'm sure he still is. But this is a side of Zach I could've never given since I'm not writing from his perspective. So I personally am excited to see where Sophia takes him and to see how he handles the internal battle of emotions he's facing! Excellent post :)

      Delete
  5. I really liked this post!! Yes, Zach may still love Aleah but they both agreed to let life happen and he can't wait around forever, just like Aleah isn't :)
    Not getting a good vibe off of Beth though!

    http://lifebysarahxo.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sport bags for women - Designer tennis bags sale online for women. Find the most stylish tennis bags for sale at Court Couture Tennis.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi everyone! Thank you so much for reading, and for your comments!! I appreciate all the feedback I can get. As Aleah stated above, Zach is trying to figure out how to balance college life, his future and his feelings for Aleah. He is and will remain a dedicated student with a sharp vision for his future. While he and Aleah are not together at the moment, they have a very special bond. However, both of them need to experience college life and what's out there so that they can make the most out of their time in college. Zach's story will give you a glimpse into dating life from a guy's perspective - we've all had our ups and downs and funny dating stories and now it's time for Zach to see what's all out there. I thank you again for your feedback, and am excited to keep writing!!

    ReplyDelete