Monday, September 8, 2014

Nervous Giggles

My heart started thumping, as I saw the number pop up on the screen:  Chase.  Throughout our e-mail exchanges, we had provided each other with our numbers.  The whole week we had sent one email back and forth per day.  He consistently emailed me every morning, which I discovered is when he first got to work.  He likes saving money, so he doesn't have Internet at home.  And I would return his messages in the evening when I would be home, and when I could relax and focus on every word he wrote.  I was mesmerized by his diligence and pursuance. 

I cleared my throat then slid the green touch button to answer his call.  "Hello?"

I heard his throat clear on the other end.  "Um, yes, hi, is this Aleah?"

Giggling nervously, I responded, "Yeah, it is.  Chase?"

"Of course!  So how was your day?"

We exchanged simple pleasantries back and forth and covered our days.  Since it was my first day of classes, I talked to him a little about how I thought this semester was going to go, and what classes I still hadn't attended, but would the next day.  Although I knew he was a tax accountant, that we had discussed the night of the wedding, I didn't understand what all that meant, and how someone can be a tax accountant year round.  He tried explaining it to me, but I thought it sounded horribly boring.  I told him that I was glad there were people in the world who liked numbers, because I couldn't do it.  He laughed and responded that it isn't for everyone.

We talked for a few more minutes before there was a slight pause.  Then quietly, Chase started, "So, Aleah, I was wondering if you'd do me the pleasure of going on a date with me?"

I (too) quickly responded, "I'd love to!"  Then smacked my forehead with my palm, regretting saying the "L word," even if it wasn't directed at him.  I recovered, "I think that would be really great."

We agreed on the upcoming Friday, August 29th around 7 p.m.  He said he would plan the entire date.

When we said our goodbyes, I squealed and did a little happy dance that consisted of prance-stomping and pumping my fists in the air.  I went to text Elena my good news, and looked at my phone and realized I hadn't hit the "end" button and the call was still going.  "Nooo!" I moaned as I hit the end button and threw my phone on the couch as if it was on fire.  I silently prayed he didn't hear my screeches of delight and at least he had hung up.

I heard my phone text tone go off, and grabbed it, seeing a text from Chase:  Looking forward to Friday.  P.S. I gave a shriek of joy, too ;)

I blushed, embarrassed he had heard me, but laughed, too.  I responded:  I'm not, and I didn't ;)

The next couple of days flew by, as I was anticipating my date, and was so nervous.  The day before my date, I decided to go shopping after practice.  I had no idea what we were doing, so I asked Chase to give me a hint so I knew how to dress.  He wouldn't give me a hint, but told me classy comfy.  I teased him, that some girl must've given him that term.

I had already checked the weather and the high was in the low 70's.  I knew if we were going out in the evening it would be cooler.  I elected on a black quarter sleeve flow-y long tunic shirt, and black and white chevron leggings.  I was going to add a red, layered bead necklace.  All I really needed were shoes.  I found some red studded flats that, in my mind, paired perfectly with my chosen outfit.

I got back to my apartment and grabbed my bag and started walking inside, daydreaming of the next night when I heard my voice being yelled from behind.  I stopped mid step and spun around. 

I found myself face to face with Victoria.

2 comments:

  1. Hey all, I know this post is a little shorter. My baby girl ended up being up later than I expected and I got approximately 2.5 hours of sleep last night so I'm really quite tired. I'm going to try to get another post out sometime later this week to make up for it. Thanks for your patience while I adjust to my new schedule (I mean life schedule, not posting schedule)!

    BUT... stay tuned... because on WEDNESDAY Life by Zach will be making its first appearance. I think y'all will like what's to come :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back!! I've been waiting for Victoria to surface. I've got a terrible feeling about the whole thing. :-/

    --Nicole M.

    ReplyDelete