Friday, September 12, 2014

LbA: Victoria

"Victoria," I muttered, through clenched teeth.

She smiled sneakily at me, and casually said, "Oh, hello Aleah.."

I looked at her, unsure of whether I should keep walking, or acknowledge her.  I also glanced around to see if there was anyone close by.  Just in case.  Of course, there wasn't anyone within 50 yards.

"It's really so great to finally get to meet you," she said, her voice laced with sarcasm.

Flatly, I responded, "Really, the pleasure is mine."  I turned to walk up my apartment when I felt her hand grip my upper arm.  I jerked away in surprise and whipped around to face her.  "Don't ever touch me.  Ever."

She shifted her eyes around quickly, to make sure no one had witnessed what had just happened.  When she saw she was in the clear, she visibly relaxed and said nonchalantly, "Oh Aleah, don't be silly.  I just wanted to tell you how excited I am that we are living in the same building!"  She sneeringly stared at me, clearly anticipating my response.

I wasn't sure what response she wanted, but I prayed I wasn't about to give it to her.  I smiled sweetly at her and said, "Oh really?  That's so great!  I was really looking forward to getting to know you better this year.  I wanted to tell you all about my ex-boyfriend, Luke.  He's quite the asshole."  I leaned in close to her, as if to confide in her, and whispered, "I heard he cheated on his fiancee with me!"  I finished my statement with a wink and took a step back, unsure if she would come at me.  My heart was pounding, and my palms sweaty.  I didn't mind confrontation, but not if it involved me either getting in trouble or possibly getting knocked out.

Her facial expression didn't change.  She icily smiled, but her eyes were shooting fire-ridden daggers at me.  She blinked twice and said, "Bitch."

"Oh, we're resorting to calling names now?  How very middle school of you."  I rolled my eyes and started backing away, almost scared to turn my back to her, but fully aware there wasn't anyone too near that could help if she did attack me.

I gripped my shoe bag tightly as I kept backing up.  Victoria just stood there, staring at me.  Creeper. 

Luckily right then I heard a car door shut.  Sarah was jogging up from the parking lot, appearing to just be getting home from somewhere.  "Sarah!" I shrilly called out to her.

"Hey!"  She immediately noticed the distressed look on my face and her smile disappeared.  I shifted my eyes towards Victoria.  I knew Sarah had seen her and Luke one time over the summer when she was in Kansas, but I didn't know if she'd remember who she was.  Sarah glanced at her, a look of recognition crossed her face and she finished jogging over to me.  She linked her arm through mine and started walking with me up the sidewalk to our building, loudly asking me about classes and what I bought.  When we were safely (and securely) locked into our apartment, Sarah asked me what the hell she was doing here.

"I told you about the message she sent me.  She's coming to school here."  I dropped my purse, tennis bag, and shoe shopping bag by the door.

"No, no, I know that.  I mean, what was she doing HERE here?"  She demanded of me, pacing the room.

I sighed, heavily.  "Apparently she somehow lives in this building."  I started mindlessly opening and closing kitchen cabinets, looking for something quick to eat.

Sarah narrowed her eyes at me.  "You're joking."

"If only."  I shrugged my shoulders, defeated.  "She's infiltrating my life.  She and Luke are probably conspiring to make my life hell."

"Get a protective order."  Sarah walked over to the couch and flopped down.

"For what?  For being creepy and staring at me?  This has been my only interaction with her, aside from the Facebook message.  She didn't even threaten me."

"Well, we'll just have to be careful.  And I really don't think you should be walking around at night by yourself out here anymore."

"Good grief Sarah.  Or should I call you mom?  I don't need a babysitter.  They haven't done anything to me."  I settled on a Chicken, Broccoli, and Cheddar Lean (Hot) Pocket, and stuck it in the microwave.

She looked at me, and I could see the concern flooding her eyes.  "I know.  I just want to make sure you're safe."  I softened towards her, then.

I crossed the room and sat next to her, wrapping my arms around her.  "I will be.  I promise."


~~~~~~~

Author's Note:  So I've decided until I'm officially/permanently moved and settled in (probably late October/November) I will post every Monday evening sometime (expect like 10 p.m.ish, as I wait until my little one is sleeping).  Any other posts, like this one, will be bonus.  Yay!  So I'll see you all on Monday again!  Once I'm moved, I'll up my postings again.

Reminder to come back on Wednesday mornings for Life by Zach posts to this page.

And also check out Sarah's life and POV:  lifebysarahxo.blogspot.com

2 comments:

  1. I just read your blog from the start... I love it!!! Interesting times ahead can't wait for the next post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww.. Thanks so much! It's up now.. so I hope you enjoy :)

      Delete