Tuesday, September 30, 2014

LbA: Faux Pas

I froze, warily looking at the hand, and quickly yanked my arm away.  I looked up to see Luke sneering at me, and Victoria standing behind him, peering at me sympathetically: as if I was a small child lost and trying to find its parent.

"Well, Aleah," Luke said, although it sounded like a question, as if he was anticipating a long awaited response to a significant question.  He let his eyes slowly wander down the curves of my body, causing me to blush uncontrollably, because I suddenly felt self-conscious as if I was provocatively dressed for a street corner instead of in my short athletic shorts, spandex top, with a zip-up hoodie unzipped over it.  As his eyes came back up, during the awkward silence, he let them rest on my chest and lightly licked his lips and then bit his bottom one.  My stomach churned at the thought of what we had been before I had known the truth.

"I've got to go," I muttered through clenched teeth, avoiding both of their stares.

"Why the rush?" Victoria sang at me, clearly enjoying how uncomfortable I appeared, though she had no idea the real reason why.

I clenched my fists and stared right into her eyes.  "Because I'm tired of your fiancee staring at my chest and trying to seductively lick his lips at me," I spat.

She narrowed her eyes at me and said, "We all know who the thirsty slut is here."  However, I saw the flash of insecurity and hurt on her face as she glanced at Luke, but then steeled her gaze back to me.  Too quick for Luke to see, but not fast enough for me to not see.  I smiled internally, knowing there was a crack I could chisel away at.

Since Victoria was still positioned behind Luke, she couldn't see him as he said, "It's okay, Aleah.  I really am sorry about hurting your feelings last year.  But you know I never could've slept with you.  I'm in love with Victoria."  His voice was dripping with empathy and concern, but the corners of his mouth were turned up into a smirk, and his eyes were cold and threatening, warning me to not utter a word.

"Really, I don't have anymore time to waste with you two, did you stop me for a legitimate reason?  If not, I'll be on my way."  I tried to sound confident and bored, although really I was terrified, as I didn't know what these two had up their conjoined, ever-looming sleeve.

Neither of them said anything, so I started to quickly walk away when I felt Luke grasp my arm again and lean down towards me.  His hot breath warmed my ear and cheek as he brazenly whispered, "You know, I think you'd have fun and we could help you relax if you were interested in joining us in bed later.  The things I would do to you..."

My eyes widened, disbelief clouding my face.  "You're sick," I muttered, but then loudly barked, "Why in the hell would you think I would have a threesome with you two, if I wouldn't even have sex with you when we were dating?"  I jerked away for good and took off jogging for my car.  I didn't look back until I was in my car, with the doors locked.  I saw Luke vehemently shaking his head no, and Victoria waving her arms in front of her as she spoke, in what appeared to be angry tones.  Her hair looked like a fire roaring around her head.  Although, superficially, I felt as if this was a victory, deep down, I knew it was just the beginning of the war.

~~~~~~~

Wednesday night came quickly, with no more run-ins with Victoria or Luke.  I had told Sarah was happened, and she told me to go get a protective order, again.  I felt like I didn't have a reason to, but I figured worse case scenario, I could go talk to Detective Stratton about it.  I wasn't going to have time until that Saturday in the morning, before the football game against McNeese State.  My family has season tickets, and I've only ever missed a game if I was gone for tennis.

When I had dated Derek, he had always complained that I overdressed for simple dates.  But I figured, if that was my worst trait, I was doing pretty good.  For my "typical date" date with Josh, I opted to wear an orange dress from Zara with sexy strappy sandal heels.  I straightened my hair and pulled it back into a sleek ponytail, and went with mascara and navy eyeliner, to match the shoes.  Subtle, but gorgeous. I happily appraised myself in the mirror before heading downstairs and outside.  It was nice out and I was ready early (for once... don't expect it again), and was going to sit on the bench outside our building for Chase to arrive.

I started scrolling through Facebook and saw that Zach was tagged in a picture by some girl named Beth. The picture was a too-close "selfie" that Zach looked totally plastered in.  Her face was pushed up against his, and she was kissing his cheek.  His eyes were half open and blood shot.  Huh.  Zach was never really the party type.  He would attend parties, with me, but he was always the sober, responsible one.  I couldn't get a good look at Beth because the picture literally was just of their faces.  And it was slightly blurry.  I looked up to see Chase pulling up.  I closed out of Facebook making a mental note to stalk this Beth girl later.

Chase got out of his car and walked over to the passenger side, opening the door.  He smiled broadly as I got closer, subtly checking me out.  I smiled back and we greeted each other with a warm embrace.  We had texted daily since our phone call on Sunday, but we hadn't spoken on the phone.  We took the opportunity to catch up on our weeks so far.

For dinner we went casual and ate at Ruby Tuesday.  I got the Buffalo Chicken Sandwich and salad bar.  He got some sort of burger.  Delicious.  Over dinner he was telling me about an out of control happy hour he had with co-workers the previous day.  I laughed at the funny spots, but was distracted.  My run-in with Luktoria and my curiosity of who Beth is, kept occupying my thoughts.  After dinner, as we were driving to the theater, Chase asked me if I was okay.

"Yeah, I'm fine.  Why?"

"You just seem... bored.  I guess."  I saw him shrug his shoulders.  I studied his profile as he was driving, before answering.  His blonde hair perfectly styled, his perfect nose, and his strong jaw line.  Blue eyes carefully studying the road.

I smiled, apologetically.  He glanced over at me, and then back at the road.  "Oh, not at all.  I really enjoy your company."  I finished with finality, "A lot."  I paused, unsure of how much of the Luke situation I should disclose, so early on.  We were at a red light, and he turned to look at me, eyebrows raised in question.

I looked down, and shyly said, "I really do like you, Chase."  I blushed at his smile, and continued, "I should probably tell you something, though."

"What's going on?"  His voice was laced with concern.

I took a deep breath before starting.  "I have kind of a crazy ex-boyfriend.  I thought our break-up was civil and mutual, but then found out a lot about him after we broke up."

Chase's expression remained neutral, and his silence prodded me to keep talking.  "I found out he was engaged to someone else, in his hometown out of state.  The whole time we were together.  Long story short, he made her believe I spent the whole time last school year pursuing him despite me knowing he was engaged.  Which I had no clue.  There were other issues as well, but now his fiancee transferred to UNL and so they're both here and seem bent on making my life miserable.  I had a run-in with them on Sunday."

"I see."  That was apparently all he had to say.

We arrived to the theater and went in and watched the movie.  He put his arm around my back half-way through.  But on top of my already distracted thoughts, I now felt sorrow for telling him about all of that.  Too soon, I suppose?

After the movie, he drove me home and walked me to my apartment door.  Outside of it, he wrapped his arms around me, giving me a tight hug.  When he pulled away he smiled warmly at me and said, "Thank you for coming out with me tonight.  I had a lot of fun."  His face turned serious then and said, "And Aleah, thank you for opening up to me.  I appreciate your honesty."

I studied his face, but only saw sincerity and compassion.  "Thank you for not freaking out.  I didn't really want to tell you about that, really.  I didn't want to scare you off..."

He waved that statement off and chuckled.  "It would take more than a crazy ex to scare me off.  Trust me, I have one of those, as well.  But, that's a story for a different time."

I smiled and went in for another hug, tipping my head up, hoping he would kiss me.  When we pulled away, his eyes darted between my lips and eyes, and I thought for sure he was going to do it.  He grasped my right hand with both of his, and leaned towards me, and brought my hand up to his face and kissed it lightly.  Electricity shot through my veins up my arm, and when he pulled away, I swore my hand was smoldering and on fire.  If Chase's lips touching my hand could cause that kind of reaction, I could only imagine what would happen when they touched my lips.

I watched Chase walk down the stairs and through the door.  He paused before the door closed, and turned back to look at me.  I blushed, that he caught me watching him.  He smiled and waved, and I did the same.

I walked into the apartment and collapsed on the couch next to Sarah, who appeared to be studying, since she had some thick textbook open on her lap.  I checked my phone and saw it was after 11 p.m.

"Hey girl, I'm surprised you aren't in bed, yet!" I teased, since Sarah acts like a grandma on school nights and is usually in bed by 10:30. 

She stuck her tongue out at me.  "How was your date?"

I sighed, happily.  "Oh Sarah, Chase is... A.Maze.Ing."  I continued to tell her about the whole date, including my faux pas of disclosing about Luke.

She laughed lightly.  "You want to hear about disclosing a lot really soon?  Listen to this."  She told me all about her second date with Matt.  

"What!?  Why didn't you tell me this sooner?" I exclaimed.

"We've both just been so busy.  I'm having Aleah-withdrawals."

"I know!  I only see you passing through my dreams anymore," I joked.  But seriously, I'm so sorry.  I know our schedules have been crazy.  Not this weekend, but the next weekend, September 12th or something like that, is my first tennis match of the season.  So, this Saturday, the McNeese game, want to come with me?  I don't have plans with Chase until Sunday.  We could go to the game, and then have a girls' night after that?  We can see if Maddie and Elena are free and go."

She brightened at my suggestion.  "Oh my gosh, yes!  But why do you guys have an extra ticket Saturday?"

"Because Tom's gone at college now.  All the way in Indiana.  Purdue, can you believe that?  Apparently that's where he decided on, I just somehow didn't find out about it until the week before he left.  He justified it by saying they have a great computer science program.  I think it's because he didn't want to be anywhere near us anymore.  Things have been cold between us ever since Miriam came around.  But whatever.  So you in?"

"Duh.  Maddie's out with the boyfriend, so we can ask her tomorrow."

"Ok.  I'll call Elena tomorrow, too.  I haven't spoken with her in awhile.  Hopefully she can pull away from the hubby for a night."  She closed her book and we got up, walking to the bathroom together, to brush our teeth.

"I'm so excited, Aleah."

"Me, too.  I've really missed you!"

"You already know."  She splashed water at me, and I returned the favor, then we raced into the bedroom to head to bed.

5 comments:

  1. Hey guys, sorry about the late post! I forgot to publish last night.

    Enjoy,

    ~A

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's okay. Can Luktoria get hit by a train?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris - @nylonlover69 on TwitterSeptember 30, 2014 at 4:09 PM

    Ok, so first, LOVE your orange dress! But isn't that a UT color? And I totally love the salad bar at Ruby Tuesday too. I think it might just be the pumpernickel croutons, but whatever. And finally, I have a feeling that Luktoria (totally funny btw) isn't gonna go away easily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love it, too. It IS a UT color... It wouldn't be worn on Nebraska game days, obvi :)

      I agree about the croutons.

      No, Luktoria's a bitch.

      Delete