Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Ice, Friends, and Family



After I got home on Saturday, the girls gave me a hard time, and teased me, but they weren’t jerks to me, like they probably could’ve been.  School has been pretty tame all week.  I did all my homework and even went to all of my classes, so far.  I’m not trying to turn over a new leaf or anything, only trying to keep my mind busy.  Work and practice were both pretty quiet.  Going through the motions to try and escape from the confusion involving Derek and James.  At least for now.  Derek and I have been talking, mainly texting.  Definitely my choice, so I can avoid any “relationship” talks for now.  I’m really not good at being 100% honest about my emotions, wants, and needs.  He wants to go out this weekend.  I told him I thought that was a poor idea due to double header matches on Saturday, and having to work on Sunday.  I think he was disappointed, but I couldn’t tell, since it was through texting.  I need more time to sort out my emotions and such.

Yesterday after tennis practice, I went to the athletic trainer to have her work on a knot I had in my shoulder, and also to get ice for my knees.  The joys of competitive tennis.  Not that I’m complaining, but you get used to various parts of the body being kneaded and/or ice cold.  The athletic trainer, Katie, and I have been building a relationship, because of how much time I seem to spend in there.  Most days after practice I see her for awhile to get myself worked on.  We were having normal chit chat about work, school, tennis, when in walked in the tallest human being I’ve ever seen in real life.  And might I add that he was not bad on the eyes either.  Brown, shaggy, wavy hair, tan, dressed like he just stepped out of a high fashion magazine, and a killer smile.  “Whoa!  How tall are you?”  I’m not known for my ability to censor myself.  Plus, what I meant to say was, “Where have you been my whole life?”  At least I didn’t blurt that out.  He chuckled and said, “Nice to you meet you, too.  6’7”.”  I blushed, and tried to shift so my long ponytail would help shield my face.

He exchanged pleasantries with Katie, discussed his ankle, and then made his exit.  Katie laughed.  I looked at her defensively.  “So I think you two would be good for each other.”  Wow, Katie, way to not beat around the bush. 

“Excuse me?”

“Listen, he transferred here this semester, he will be playing with the basketball team next year, and he has to sit out the rest of this year.  He could use someone to show him around.  Plus, getting to know him, and knowing you, I think your personalities would mesh well.  Not to mention you weren't exactly subtle when you were looking him up and down.”  Oops.

“I’m kind of dating someone.”

“Kind of?”

“Yeah, it’s… complicated.”  It probably says a lot that I’ve never mentioned Derek to Katie before.

“Well, firstly, it doesn’t sound like you’re that invested.  Secondly, it doesn’t hurt to have a new friend, does it?”

“I mean, I guess not… I just don’t want to add any more complications.”

“Before you go, I’ll write down his name for you.  Find him on Facebook, and go from there.  You don’t have to date him, but he could use some friends.  And you’re a quality person, which he needs in his life.”

Luke Hammond.  So, that’s who I Facebook stalked last night.  It appears he’s majoring in business.  And is gorgeous, in case I didn’t mention that previously.  Based on some of his pictures, he may have dabbled in some modeling.  Before I could over think it, I clicked on “Request Friendship.” 



Today, I had lunch with Joe, my best friend boy.  He is a year older than me.  I’m going to miss him like crazy when he graduates this year.  Although he is very good looking, we have always had this platonic relationship that has never escalated to anything beyond a friendship.  He told me that he was currently house-sitting for a family he knows while they were out of the country.  He said he would be staying at their house for a couple of months, and that their house is extremely creepy.  He mentioned after the matches on Saturday he was going to have some people from the tennis team over.  I told him I’d be there.  Hanging out with Joe is so relaxing, natural, and there is no pressure or stress.  I love it.  Plus, there’s the added benefit of him not being a female, so there isn’t any drama.  We decided to get to the courts early on Saturday to hit and warm each other up.  He is the best player on the men’s team.  Even though he could destroy me if we ever played against each other, we were really good as hitting mates.  We had even played multiple off-season mixed doubles tournaments together and won.  He told me about a girl he was interested in on the tennis team, a freshman.  He asked if I could put a good word in for him, or find out if she was dating anyone.  I rolled my eyes.  He doesn’t have a problem getting girls.  Not only is he good looking, but he’s the type of good looking where he doesn’t know it.  He’s a perfect gentleman, all the time, and is hilarious.  The downfall of our men’s and women’s tennis teams working so closely and traveling together, is that there are a lot of failed relationships amongst several members of the team.  It always creates some awkward tension when it doesn’t work out.  I’ve not had the experience, thankfully, but have been in the middle of some of the drama, before, unfortunately.

After my afternoon class, I stopped at home to change for practice.  I quickly logged on to Facebook and saw that a certain someone had approved my friendship request.  Also, he had sent me a message: Hey, how tall are you?

Someone’s got jokes.

I chose to ignore his message for now.  Responding would make me think about him, and thinking about anyone other than Derek is not what I should be or need to be doing at the moment.  After practice, I spoke with my mother.  Although my parents and I had our ups and downs while I was still living at home, once I had gone to college, my relationship with them had developed into more of a friendship.  I respected my parents more, now, and while they were definitely still my parents, I was old enough where we could be friends as well.  My mom invited me home to dinner Friday night.  They only lived about 45 minutes away, so it was definitely something I could do.  I would take off after practice, which will be shortened due to the double header on Saturday, and I make it back to the apartment at a decent time after dinner.  My mom sounded different on the phone, though.  I asked her what was wrong, and she denied that anything was.  I wrote it off to my mom being a worry wart about me and my grades, or something else that she shouldn't be concerned with.  Her and my father were planning on doing some traveling after my brother graduated, since then they would be “empty-nesters.”  I think they were really looking forward to it, actually.  I had begged to go with, but was rejected.  I asked if Tom would be at dinner as well and mom snipped, “if he decides to make time for his family.”  I grinned, but kept the happiness out of my voice.  My brother was a jerk at times, and dinner might be more pleasant if he wasn’t there.  I think he’s just a moody teenager.  Although, I had heard a rumor (of course from my mom) that he was dating someone, so if he was there, I planned on getting the dirt.  Needless to say, I’m looking forward to my fun-filled, albeit busy, weekend.

5 comments:

  1. I liked this post I can't wait too see what happens at dinner lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really like the post, I can't wait to read what happens next

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, just wanted to type a quick note - the background makes the text really difficult to read, maybe a more solid background would be better? enjoyed this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What's frustrating is I've been trying to adjust it, and when I pull it up on my internet explorer, it shows it as a solid black box over the background, but when I "preview" it, it shows it over the background. I'll see what I can do :)

      Delete
    2. That's so weird! Hopefully it'll work :)

      Delete