Monday, February 10, 2014

Tennis and Trust



I wiped the sweat from my forehead with the bottom of my tank top, showing off my toned stomach.  I loved playing tennis indoors.  I grinned across the net at my hitting partner, James.  He and I both worked at the Racquet Club.  It was 9:30 p.m., Sunday night.  I had closed the Club already, and sometimes he would come and meet me and we would hit afterwards, for fun, and a workout.  We had known each other for a couple years.  He was 9 years older than me, and something about him was so appealing.  He’s also probably the biggest flirt I knew.  On the court he was always dressed tennis appropriate, but off, he had the fashion sense of a Top Model.  There had always been this mutual attraction, a sexual tension between us, but anytime one of us was single, the other wasn’t.  When Derek and I were together, that attraction was always suppressed and ignored.  But today I felt ignited.  Derek and I hadn’t spoken since I hung up on him Friday night.  He had tried calling me and texting me, and I had ignored his attempts at contact.  I knew he wouldn’t drive to campus and hunt me down, and with the pressure of a potential pregnancy guilting me into staying with him now over, the pendulum of our relationship was swinging towards “break up.”  But who knows, that could change tomorrow.  Selfish?  Yes.  Unfair to Derek?  Most definitely.  But at this moment, I didn’t care.

“You keep tempting me with pulling that shirt up, and we may have to place some wagers on this game.”  James was smiling.  Currently, we were both in relationships.  James has a thing for younger females.  As in, a lot younger.  I don’t even think his current girlfriend could get into a bar with him.

“James.  If you keep talkin’ dirty, I’m going to have to stop taking it easy on you;  and in that case, wagering may not be in your best interest!”  I was fully aware that prancing around in my skin tight top and tiny tennis skirt was tempting to him.  But nothing would happen.  That’s what I was telling myself.  Anyhow, 
we were just hitting, not even playing games.  Just a friendly work out. 

We had packed up our racquets and were standing at the door before walking out.  We both had pulled on sweats over our tennis wear.  Chatting before setting the alarm to walk out, we were standing close.  I was venting about my frustrations with Derek.  “You know, if you would’ve just waited for me this last time, you wouldn’t be dealing with this now.”  James’ stated.  Sometimes, I couldn’t tell if he was joking or not.   “James, I would never trust you.  Look at how you are.  You have a girlfriend.”  He faced me and took a step towards me.  I went to back up (because maybe I didn’t trust myself), and backed into the wall.  He put his hand on the wall next to my head, and leaned in to me.  I searched his eyes.  His eyes drifted between intently looking into mine, down to my lips, and then back.  He leaned a little closer, moved his head just to the side and whispered into my ear, “You, I would never hurt.”  He then pushed away and walked out the door.  I realized I was holding my breath.

This morning, I had class.  I didn’t go.  It was weightlifting.  I hadn’t wanted to go to college right after high school, but it was expected of me, and I got a full ride for tennis.  So, I chose a major that would require little of me (or so I thought), and that would allow me to graduate in 4 years, because I was so tired of school.  My major: Psychology. My minor: Sociology.  My life goal: No clue.  I wish I had that automatic “knowing” of what I wanted to do for the rest of my life.  But I don’t.  My little brother, Tom, does.  He’s a senior in high school and already knows he’s going to something with computer software development.  He may or may not be a borderline genius.  Time will tell. 

As long as attendance wasn’t part of the grade, I didn’t have much motivation to go.  Being a great test taker was a gift of mine, along with generally just being smart.  Genes, I guess.  However, college had turned out to be more difficult than I was expecting.  I was passing all my classes, but just with B’s and C’s.  I’m sure if I applied myself, I would do great.  I was just missing the motivation factor.  I sound like my mom.  Ugh.  I always tried to take easier classes in the spring semester, anyway, because that’s tournament season for tennis.  As for my roommates, I knew that Elena was at college to further her education, Sarah was at college to get a real degree, Maddie was at college to get her Mrs. Degree, and I was at college to play tennis.  To each their own, I guess.  However, I could always justify not going to a class. I always had a reason, whether it was legitimate or not.  Maddie and I had a lot of classes together, because her major was psychology, too.  Sometimes I could convince her not to go to class, and we would have girl time, other times, she would go, and I would just bum her notes, and the rest of the time, she would convince me to go to class, more for moral support than anything else.  However, this semester I was taking a lot of electives on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, and major/minor specific classes on Tuesdays and Thursdays.  So MWF were my skipping days this semester.  Today, my reasoning was tired in the morning, and confused in the afternoon.  James was consuming a lot of my thoughts.  

 I had tennis practice from 4-6, and I did make that.  I stopped by the cafeteria on my way back to the apartment with a couple of my teammates, Emily and Cara.  Emily started at UNL the same time I did, and Cara is a year younger and my doubles partner, so we’ve bonded quite quickly.  We started talking about our coach, Matt.  He had been in a bad mood that day, which equaled a lot of running.  Cara and I both hate running.  Emily doesn’t mind it.  She had actually lost quite a bit of weight since our freshman year.  Freshman negative fifteen.  I attribute it to her running.  Running to me is not enjoyable.  I don’t understand people like Maddie.  That’s what she’s here for.  Cross County and Track.  Gross.  Anyhow, we chatted over our plates of food.  Emily, of course, eating a salad.  Cara eating what I refer to as “vegetarian delight.” And me, with my horrible eating habits, a sautéed mixture of spinach, and other vegetables, a hamburger, and a waffle.  There are no words for my odd cravings and mixtures.  I was almost done when Emily looked at me and said “Aleah.” I heard the tone of her voice, and saw the look on her face and didn’t want to turn around to face what I’m sure I didn’t want to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment